Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Brooklyn Brewery, Today\'s NY Times

Leslie and I have really enjoyed the Sierra Nevada Wheat bear while munching on olives and various soft cheeses. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers. Usually I pick up on an overpowering bannana flavor that I find displeasing, most of all in the Flying Dog wheat Of course this would turn out to be Leslie's favorite style of beer

Administrator in exile

Re: Brooklyn Brewery East India Pale Ale

Gary, Mark et all,

Here is a helpful resourse for understanding the differences in the flavoring and bittering components of the various hop varietals: Hops 101

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks, Jeff, excellent rundown of hops, their uses and attributes. Under "varieties" the flavour of each is noted with accuracy (note he mentions "grapefruit" under Cascades, a common descriptior for this hop type). Of course each brewer's approach will determine the flavor profile. Hop type is one factor albeit an important one. I find with Cascades, too much is not always a good thing. In current beer lingo, I am not a "hophead", not for this variety at any rate. However when used sparingly and when the beer is served well-chilled and carbonated, I find Cascades-hopped beer quite good. I mentioned Ballantine XXX as an example, which is not a microbrewed beer but has been around for 100 years or so. To me it gets the use of Cascades just right. Widely available in the Northeast and especially New York although I think it is brewed now in the south by SAB/Miller somewhere (hard to keep up with all the changes in label and brewey ownership). Just to bring beer and whiskey into relation, the current All About Beer magazine (published out of Durham, NC) has an article on microdistillers, these being a dozen or so small restaurant-distilleries or free-standing operations out on the West Coast. None actually make a bourbon as yet but are experimenting with various barley and other spirits. No doubt a bourbon will follow before long but interesting that thus far these operations make scotch-type whisky, vodka, gin, and fruit spirits, nothing from a bourbon mash.

Gary

Administrator in exile

I, on the other hand , am a certified "hop-head" The more the better! While I do enjoy the "grapefruitiness" of the cascade hop, I tend to prefer IPAs brewed with Centennial hops, i.e. Bell's Two-Hearted Ale. They seem to impart a more floral flavor and aroma to the beer which I find to my liking.

Guru

Thanks for the link Jeff, seems I will have some educational reading once I get home from work.

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale

Since many of us do enjoy beer as well as bouron, including women like Bettye Jo, my wife, etc, I was planning on bringing some beer with me to KY this year to be enjoyed at the gazebo... Maybe I'll have to bring a vareital 6pack of Brooklyn brews for you to try! I'd like to hear your opinions as well Jeff. You bring one of those two hearted ales though since I still have not found that here.

Guru

Recently I had a Brooklyn wheat beer in Manhattan with chowder and other seafood and the combination could not be beaten.

Now that sounds like a great combo Gary. Stupid question, but even though you were in Manhattan, what kind of chowder were your enjoying; Manhattan or New England? I tend to like Manhattan better, but I think I could go for a bowl of NE with a nice Brooklyn Wheat beer...

Enthusiast

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale

I've got a "few" beers laying around at most times. I'll bring some along as well. Some of you may have tried the Southhampton Burton Ale that I brought last year. I'm trying to get that again, as I thought that was a wonderful British style ale.

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Hey! Please bring a few of those to my party. That would be a nice "extra" along with all the other "goodies" I will admit that I have not tried alot of other beer's...I live in a small town and the selection is Fall's City (j/k) Coor's, Sterling, Bud...etc....

To get a big selection I would havta travel to Louisville,---a 100 mile round trip for me...

Bettye Jo

Enthusiast

I'm with you Jeff, cause hops make me "hoppy"! Some of my favorite hop head beers include: Victory Brewery's Hop Devil, Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale (available during the holidays), Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin' IPA, Weyerbacher's Hop Infusion; Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale; Magic Hat's Blind Faith IPA, Brooklyn's East IPA, Grant's IPA, Greene King IPA. All of these are wonderful beers IMHO. There are lots of other styles I like as well, but when in doubt, I'll grab a hoppy brew anytime!

Bob