Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Brooklyn Brewery, Today\'s NY Times

Manhattan of course! It was at the Grand Central Terminal oyster bar and restaurant in the basement.

Although, I could see that Brooklyn Wheat going well with cream-based chowder too.

I had two beers, that one and Chimay White (from Belgium), both on draft, and all I can say is, both were great but the 8% Chimay threw me for a loop on the buzz, I had forgotten how potent it can be. Chimay White is not a wheat beer but rather a Triple-style beer but it went well after the Brooklyn Blanche (I think is the formal name of the Brooklyn Brewery's wheat beer).

Gary

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale

I've got a "few" beers laying around at most times.
    Let me say that Bob's beer bottle collection puts my bourbon collection to shame! I do remember that beer you brought last year Bob as Stacy had some, and it was very nice. Please do bring some more this year!

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery, Today\'s NY Times

Don't you worry Bettye Jo, we'll make sure you get to try a little of all the Brooklyn styles. We'regoing to have to seperate half the gazebo for a night! One half bourbon drinkers and the other half the beer drinkers.

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyner Weisse Beer

I have grown very fond of wheat beers and this is yet another one to add to the list. Stacy does want me to say though that she likes this wheat beer the least when paired against Saranac's and Blue Moon brews. I on the other hand like it because it is different and stands out from the others. It pours a hazy/cloudy dark yellow color with a nice head. The nose on this one really says yeast, as does the taste. Of all the beers I have had to date, this one has a real yeasty flavor almost like the smell of bread dough. I get a tiny bit of sweetness and an under note of bananas in it as well. All in all a great beer from Brooklyn Brewery and one I will definitely buy again. I still prefer Saranac's Belgian White a little more, but this one being different tasting makes for a nice change of pace.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Mark,

I agree that the Brooklyner Weisse is a great beer. I'll have to say that it is currently my favorite domestic wheat beer though. It has surpassed the Blue Moon brew in my book. I like the Saranac's as well, but they rate below Blue Moon. I still have very fond memories of the Celis White beer. Has anyone had the good fortune of trying it while it was available? It was the BEST wheat beer I've ever had. Unfortunately, Miller bought the Celis brewery and ultimately closed it! I guess they wanted to continue to just make the same old High Life

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Bob.....Celis was made right here in my "backyard", Austin, TX. Celis White was an excellent wheat beer and worked perfectly for our hot Texas summers. Their other beers, particularly the Grand Cru, were also pretty good. I toured the brewery in the late '90's and was impressed with their brewing process and use of high quality ingredients. When Miller shut them down, I went out and bought several cases of their beer but it's long gone. I haven't bought a Miller product since then. Fortunately there is a regional brewer located here in Houston, Saint Arnolds, which has picked up the quality torch and makes some good stuff.

I hadn't thought about Celis for a long time till you mentioned it here.

Randy

Enthusiast

Randy,

I've also had the Grand Cru, and from what I remember of it, it too was a very good beer. The White is the one that stands out in my memory, and was an absolute favorite during summers here on LI. When Miller shut 'em down, I also bought as many cases of the White as I could find. Unfortunately, they too are long gone.

I just checked my bottle collection and I also have Celis' Pale Ale, Pale Bock & Rasberry. I don't recall too much about the Ale or Bock, but I remember that the Rasberry was a damn good beer too.

At my local distributor, I recently saw a beer that had Pierre Celis' name on it. I think it was a Belgian style ale. Maybe there will be some things to look forward to from Celis once again. One can only hope!

As far as Miller goes... ...

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Looks like the Celis lineup is back in production. Apparently, the Michigan Brewing Co bought the brands and with the assistance of the Celis family is back making the entire lineup. They won the 2003 gold at the Great American Beer Festival competition with their Celis White....no suprize there. I'm going to ask my retailer to find some for me. They have two websites.

www.celis.com and www.michiganbrewing.com

Can't wait to find some.

Randy

Guru

Damn, you guys are making me thirsty! Thanks for the links; I will definitely be checking out the Celis White and Celis Raspberry. Hell, I'll try all of them in a 'variety pack' just so long as the place where Bob lives manages to get all 6 styles in! Add these onto the list Bob Tell that guy at your distributor he needs to open a place here on SI!

Connoisseur

Re: Brooklyn Weisse/Celis/Hoegaarden

Q: Is there a noticeable diff between the Michigan Celis White and the Belgian Hoegaarden Pale? I had the latter in my recent vacation and it was the best tasting wheat beer I've ever had. A beer fan on the net calls it his favorite tasting beer..."like an angel peeing on my tongue" he wrote.

Let that sink in before rushing to find Hoegaarden.

Bob, was it you who said the man who started Celis (in Texas) is the same guy that crafted the original Hoegaarden in Belgium?

Cheers,
    Omar