Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Brooklyn Weisse/Celis/Hoegaarden

Omar,

Pierre Celis was indeed the brewer for Hoegaarden before he headed off to Texas to create his namesake beer. And I know I told one of my SB friends, that IMHO the Hoegaarden White is not nearly as good as the Celis White.

Randy's info that it will be available again is such great news!
    I will have to look into that for sure!

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Bob....I have the Celis White in my fridge as I type this. I tried one and it is very good. Michigan Brewing says that Mr. Celis brought over his brewing engineer to assist in their startup. A few years ago, I heard a Michigan company had bought their old equipment and this just ties it all together. If you can't get this at home, I'll bring some to the festival in September. Next time I'm out, I'll buy the Grand Cru and the Rasberry. This is indeed good news that the Celis beers are back into production.

Randy

Enthusiast

Randy,

I am SO jealous. And I am so hopeful and glad that Celis is back. I'll need to look at the links you posted earlier a bit more carefully tomorrow. I'm hoping that it'll be available in the NY area. I'll also have to talk to my local distributor.

Bob

Connoisseur

Thanks Bob.

Check comments after this review. Makes ya wanna go out and get some Hoe Gaarden!!

http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=167

Omar

Guru

Well, heedless of your warning, I went in search of Celis beer and found only Hoegaarden. I sit here with this curious ale, wondering at the way it tastes different with each sip. At 9 bucks a six, not any chance of being my everyday, but I'm having a heck of a time swatting that small bladdered angel away. The owner of the store where I picked it up was suggesting I try Baltica (sp?) a Russian Wheat Brew. They had a wheat, a dark and a pale. Anyone had it that can share their thoughts?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hoegaarden is very good, the classic Belgian wheat beer. I find the Belgian style of wheat beer is preferable to the South German style which can have a fairly strong clove or banana-like flavour (these are the "weizen" beers whether filtered or not - with "hefe" or not). The Belgian wheat beers tend more to a milky-like palate and are famously spiced with coriander to give an orange-like taste. I find it interesting that Pierre Celis who made Hoegaarden famous in Belgium before selling the brand to Interbrew started out as a milkman. He distributed and perhaps made milk in the small town where he helped out occasionally at a nearby small brewery that was making the disappearing style of Belgian white beer. When local men complained they couldn't find it anymore he revived the style. The old wheat beers were not, generally, very strong, some were intended as refreshers during field work, for example. Hoegaarden is made now at about 5% abv. which seems just right. (Celis, now in his late 70's, emigrated to America and set up a number of deals to make a similar brew and this is the Celis beer mentioned on the board recently. The ones I tried were very good but somehow the original, albeit made by a very large company, seems the most complex of the lot. As Dane said, every sip reveals different flavours). Baltika is a good quality beer, the blonde one we get here always had a dry snap to it and now I see why since it seems wheat is used in the mash. Apart from specialties such as Hoegaarden or Belgian Trappist or the best examples of other foreign beers, I find it best generally to sample local interpretations of foreign styles. New Belgium Brewing (Colorado) and New Glarus (Minnesota) for example make great beers in a number of Belgian wheat and related styles. But whether imported or not, freshness is the key to a good palate in beer. I am relentless when it comes to interpreting production or expiration dates on bottles and cans. The furthest ahead the expiration date, the better (almost always) will be the beer. We here in Toronto are getting Pilsener Urquel in cans (always better in my view than in the green bottles, which always seem light-affected to a degree) that are dated to about one year hence or more, clearly they are just off the ship after a fast ride and taste as they would at home (I am not speaking of the draft, of course). Ditto with a local micro (or any local) beer: some of them don't turn over that quickly and drunk too old they won't taste right.

Gary

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Pilsner

This beer poured your typical yellowish pilsner color, perhaps a bit darker than your 'average', and was very clear. I liked the taste of this pilsner. I got an initial malty flavor in the mouth with a nice slight bitter finish. I didn't get it after the first few sips, but initially it seemed totaste a bit 'tinny'. All of the other brews I got by Brooklyn Brewery from one particular distributor were fresh, thouh these pilsners were nearly 8 months old! I wonder if that played a bit in the 'tinny' role... Guess I'll have to throw in some 'fresher' pilsners in my next purchase! What I really hope to do this summer is make it to their brewery!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Monster Ale - Barleywine Style - 2000!

Yet another brew we had this weekend... Bob was nice enough to break out some bottles, rather old ones at that, from his bunker to share. Brooklyn Brewery makes a barleywine style ale only 3-4 months out of the year and even then it is in very limited quantities. Well, he brought one from 2000 that says right on the label "Specially brewed for the Millenium". I had a barleywine brew once before from Anchor Steam and loved it. Theirs comes in 7oz bottles though; BB's come in full 12 oz bottles.

For being as strong as it is (generally between 11 and 12% alcohol) it drinks very easily. This was one complex beer with alot of flavors going on in it. Not bitter at all, kind of sweet actually. I know its not readily distributed all over, but this is one to try if you ever see it.

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Pennant Pale Ale \'55

This brew actually used to be called Pennant Pale Ale '55, but ow it is just called Brooklyn Ale. There still is a small '55 on the front of the label though. here's a pic of the old label--->

I liked this Pale Ale quite a bit. Great malty aroma and mouthfeel with just the right amount of bitterness lingering around on the finish. Another great beer from Brooklyn Brewery, but their Brown Ale is still my favotite (next to their Monster Ale!).

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyn Lager

Really cannot say much here except yet another great beer from Brooklyn Brewery. Bob told me early on, in his opinion, that Garret Oliver was an excellent brewmaster and I am agreeing with him more with each beer I have from them. This beer was simple yet complex, very malty and had just the right amount of hops for me. Very well rounded with a nice head and color. I'll be sure to bring some Brooklyn Brews to the festival this year for those who are into beer as well as bourbon and want to try these not readily available brews...