Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyn Lager

Nice picture. Now I am thirsty.

Tim

Advanced Taster

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyner Weisse Beer

I can definitely attest to the Brooklyner Weisse beer... In the past I frequented a bar that had this on tap... Definitely a favorite...

-Chris

Guru

Re: Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout

Man, Garret Oliver keeps amazing me with some of these woderful brews! After not caring much at all for the last Chocolate stout I had, I was worried that this one would have that same tsate profile to it but am I impressed. Beautiful black in color with a moderate tan colored head this beer pours nice and thick n' rich looking. Upon first sip you get a great thick and creamy mouthfeel followed by a mildly sweet chocolate/mocha/coffee taste. It goes down ever so smoooooth with just a perfect balance of everything. Its a shame yet good that this beer is only available once a year from them because it makes you anticipate its release even more! I think BB's chocolate stout is a great example of this style.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Brooklyn Brewery East India Pale Ale

Hey Bob and Mark.......I'm trying the East India Pale Ale you sent me and it's good. As you commented, it's not as hoppy/bitter as most (I like bitter IPA's), and it's very smooth. Barely fits the category, but perfect for those that find most IPA's too bitter. Val really likes it. Next on the list will be the Brooklyn Ale.....tomorrow. Thanks for sending me the great assortment of your local brews.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Randy, I acquired one too courtesy Mark, and I agree it is good. Not a "big" American or English-accented IPA but very drinkable. Good chaser for, say, the Buzz or Jim Beam White Label. Of Mark's beers in this flight (i.e., all Brooklyn Brewery) I thought the Brown Ale was the best. It is in the northern English style, that is, about 5% abv and well-malted and hopped - not sweet as brown ale used to be (at any rate) in London and environs. The Brooklyn weissebier also is very good, expertly made, better I think than the Celis white ale.

Gary

Enthusiast

Randy,

Glad you like the IPA. It isn't a hop monster like many that are out there, which I also enjoy, but it is a good brew. Keep us posted as you progress thru the assortment!

Bob

Enthusiast

Gary,

I agree that the Bklyn Weissebier is very good, but better than Celis White? Since I was the lucky recipient of some Celis White, courtesy of Randy, I'll have to taste them together. I've considered the Celis to be the best White that I've ever had. BTW, if you ever have the good fortune of seeing Blanche de Brooklyn on tap at your favorite pub, give it a try. I believe that I posted about this beer earlier. It's only available in kegs. This is a FINE Belgian style White beer. Not to be overly technical, but the Brooklyner Weiss is a Bavarian style Wheat beer (as stated in Brooklyn's website. So, the comparison really is between 2 different styles (Celis White and the Brooklyner Weisse), but your preference is quite a compliment nonetheless.

I'm going to try to save a bottle of the Celis White, in hopes of comparing it next summer to the Blanche de Brooklyn.

Bob

Connoisseur

I brought a Brooklyn Chocolate Stout to Bettye Jo. Figured you can't go wrong with the word chocolate when giving gifts to a woman, right? If you are ever around Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, stop in the Brazenhead bar. They keep several Brooklyn beers and have a very nice beer selection overall...even hand-pulled.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

I brought a Brooklyn Chocolate Stout to Bettye Jo.
    You are right Can't go wrong with Chocolate Actually, I have them tucked away in the fringe probably until tomorrow night when I usually kick back a pop a few during the chat here at SB.com

Tonya gave me a "basket" full of goodies. There "were" some chocolates in there let me tell ya...they were awsome! My entire family really enjoyed those...

Thank you so much!

I have been busy writing Thank You notes to the guest that brought me such fine gifts. Alot of folks I don't have a address so I am in the process of getting all of my pictures together, along with my "Thank You's" in order

Here is a picture that I took of you and Ben at the Gazebo.

Bettye Jo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

You are right, Bob, that the two styles of wheat beer are different (Bavarian vs. the Belgian white style of wheat beer) but still as a general class (wheat beer) I feel it is fair to compare them and the Brooklyn beer has the edge by its greater complexity. The Celis beer tends to be a bit monochrome to my taste, it is good but doesn't quite attain to the Hoegaarden original which Pierre Celis originally brewed in Belgium. In other words the Hoegaarden and Brooklyn weisse stand in closer relation (I would say) than Mr. Celis' latter-day, new-world creations. Now, I will grant you the Blanche de Brooklyn draft beer is very good too, I have had it in New York. It would offer a fairer comparison to the Celis beer, as would (say) Unibroue's white beer (the Blanche de Chambly), by virtue of being strictly in the Belgian white style but again it trumps the Celis in my view. I recall it had an orange coriander-type complexity the Celis lacks. Pierre Celis is a legend in the beer business and any beer with his name on it will be very good but Garrett Oliver is tough competition!

Gary