Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Best tasting inexpensive bourbon?

This week I have been enjoying Elijah Craig 12-year-old ($16.99) and Ancient Ancient Age 10-year-old ($14.99), both great values.

Must say I am jealous of people who are paying $12.99 for Buffalo Trace. In Chicago, it has been staying around $20.

The Ancient Ancient Age 10yo -- not to be confused with the 10-Star, which is just 6 years old -- currently is only marketed in Kentucky and Virginia.
    And yet I bought it last week at Binny's on Clark Street in Chicago.

Kentucky Gentleman is a Barton brand. It appears in wells here in Chicago. I tried a taste not long ago. Not good.

Novice

Well, there's nothing better than good, cheap bourbon,and believe it or not, there is such a thing. For me, the hands down winner is W.L. Weller Special Reserve. It's a 7 year old wheated bourbon that can be picked up for UNDER 10 bucks here in the bluegrass. I used to work in a liquor store as the bourbon buyer, and I would often conduct blind taste tests with friends and co-workers. Put up against Maker's Mark, the Old Weller would win 8 out of 10 times.Not bad for a bottle that was less than half the price of the MM.

My other favorite is Old Fo'. Even with last year's slight price increase I can still find it for 10 to 12 dollars. This is a great bourbon that has stood the test of time and the onslaught of boutique brands.

Old Grandad is also an old fav.

BourbonitisBlues

Two notes re AAA 10yo:
    1)I, too, have purchased it in TN within the past year, but always old stock; and
    2)I think Binny's is a big enough retailer to be able to get whatever it wants.

I think Binny's is a big enough retailer to be able to get whatever it wants.

That's exactly what it is. Along those lines, Buffalo Trace is not in Illinois yet, but Sam's and Binny's have it.

Yep, all of the above to which, in Kentucky, I would add Very Old Barton.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I will state flat out that Very Old Barton is amongst the top 5 bourbons in America, at any price. That it is - so far - offered at a near bottom shelf price is an anomaly and rare boon for consumers.

Gary

Novice

Okay, this is the biggest surprise I've had since logging on to this site. The seemingly wide-spread appreciation for VOB. My first reaction is ...WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I've always considered VOB nearly intolorable. But I will admit that my opinion is based in large part on a few very bad college drinking experiences! I seem to remember something about half-pints of VOB chased with Big Red! HA! HA!

Seriously, this does make me want to give it another try. After all college has been more than a few years ago.

BourbonitisBlues

Try the Bottled-in-bond. You won't be disappointed. I would compare it favorably to Old Forester.