Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Unibroue... fine beers from Quebec

With all the recent posts on beers, and wheat beers lately, I thought I'd give a plug for one of my favourite brewers, Unibroue. Most of their beers are bottle conditioned, belgian style, often triple fermented. Their wheat beer Blanche de Chambly is a great summer thirst quencher. My current favourite is the La Fin du Monde (the end of the world), a triple fermented, bottle conditioned ale that packs a 9% whollop. Hopefully SB.com members can try one of these exceptional brews at a fine retailer near you.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone who also enjoys this brand.

Unibroue website

Guru

Re: Unibroue... fine beers from Quebec

I'll have to give a look for them around here Dave. I wish I could find that 12 pack sampler listed on their website; As I've said before, I love sampler packs, especially ones that contain only one or two bottles of each variety. What a great way to sample many beers from one brewer. I'm going to the distributor tomorrow, so here's to hoping I can find at least the Blanche de Chambly.

Enthusiast

Mark, we get the sampler packs here only at Christmas. It's too bad, 'cause it's a great idea.

I notice that new sampler pack contains their "Raftman". This beer is made with whiskey malt. It has yet to be confirmed, but I believe I'd like to start a rumor that it is malt that has been peat smoked. Their commercial description alludes to this idea. It's an interesting concept for whiskey lovers.

Guru

That's a shame Dave... Too many brewers only come out with sampler packs during the holidays. Saranac I can say does do 'right' and has a decent sampler throughout the year. I'll still be looking for Unibroue nonetheless Dave!

That is a pretty interesting concept... Have you tried their Raftman yet?

Enthusiast

Have you tried their Raftman yet?
    Mark, yes on several occasions but I prefer others in their lineup:
    La Fin du Monde
    Don du Dieu (triple fermented)
    Maudite (red ale)
    Blanche de Chambly (wheat)
    Quelque Chose (cherry beer)

Incidently, most of the Unibroue beers are intended to be aged, and indeed improve with several years in a good cellar. Good luck with your attempts at finding some!

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Unibroue Rocks.
    Maudite, Maudite, Maudite
    La Fin du Mond
    Righteous!!!!!

Is Trois Pistoles part of their lineup?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I hate to enter a dissenting vote, being a Canuck and all (and Montreal native to boot) but I never warmed to the Unibroue beers. I can hack the Blanche once in a while but the others are just too strong. They range from 8-10% or so abv. and I get slayed with one. That defeats the purpose of the old honorable game of drinking beer, in my view. You need a certain quantity of it, and you can't (I can't) drink 5, or even 3, in a row of these heavyweights.

Gary

Guru

Uh-Oh, I don't think you'd like the ones I just purchased at my local distributor then Gary!

I just got home from the distributor and they had 2 unibroue bottlings; Unibroue 11 and Unibroue Terrible. What a name for a beer that last one is!

As soon as I pop these babies I'll let ya know what I think right here Dave.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Actually, Mark, I am going to backtrack a bit; Terrible is very good. The name in French does not mean "bad", it means, "awesome".

This beer is like a strong porter, it is said to be flavoured with licorice, as porters were in the 1800's. Anyway, you bought the right one.

Gary

Guru

Interesting to know that Gary, I had no idea it meant the opposite in French!

I have had porters in the past and liked them, but I am not fond of licorice... But then again, I can almost picture the taste of licorice in a beer and it actually sounds like it may be good. This will be an interesting one to try.