Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Unibroue Quelque Chose \"Ale brewed with Cherries\" Ltd. Ed. 2002

While at a distributor a few weeks back I came across 2 more Unibroue bottlings I have never seen. One was Raftman which I knew of and wanted to try so I am glad to have found it. Another I have not heard of before is Quelque Chose. It says it is a limited edition from 2002 and is an Ale brewed with Cherries. Any of our Canadian neighbors ever have this one and if so how did you like it? I'll post my reviews once I pop it open!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator in exile

Re: Unibroue Quelque Chose \"Ale brewed with Cherries\" Ltd. Ed. 2002

I have never had nor have I even seen it, but I bet it's really "something"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Unibroue Quelque Chose \"Ale brewed with Cherries\" Ltd. Ed. 2002

It is a cherry beer based on the Belgian kriek style, where brown ale or wild-fermented beer is given a boost by addition of macerated cherries to the mash, or to a new brew to stimulate a secondary fermentation. Unibroue advises to heat their cherry beer, mull it that is, and indeed it drinks well that way (like gluhwein in Switzerland), but also it can be drunk cool in the traditional way. Belgian cherry beers are available stateside. Look e.g. for the tissue-wrapped Liefman's. This cherry beer is based on Liefman's famous tart brown ale. The Belgian fruit beers are an interesting comparison to Quelque Chose; so are U.S. domestic interpretations such as New Glarus' cherry beer made in the Mid-West, I think, Minnesota. Originally in Europe, the fruit was added to the mash or young brew for flavor but also (mainly?) to boost alcohol content by adding additional fermentables. The traditional "kriekenbier" ("kriek" denotes a variety of cherry) has great complexity, in part because kriek is a sour variety. It adds some sugar, but also, acid and tannins to barley and (sometimes) barley-and-wheat brews, interweaving in the malt and hops and adding further layers of flavor. I am not sure what kind of cherries are used by Unibroue. Even if they are sweet cherries, the house will get a good flavor. This results from the way the base ale is made and, possibly, from the use of the kernels (giving an "almond" note). In the last few years, Unibroue's head brewer has been a Belgian who used to work at Chimay, the great Trappist brewery. This is one reason Unibroue's beers are so good and faithful even to eccentric Belgian beer styles.

Gary

Enthusiast

Re: Unibroue Quelque Chose \"Ale brewed with Cherries\" Ltd. Ed. 2

Mark, if you like it, be sure to try and fill your cellar as that product is now a very limited distribution. I've had it on several occasions and prefer it to most of it's belgian predecessors as it's not a sweet as some. Very nice in the winter, I haven't served it warm as suggested, but at cellar temperature after dinner as dessert. Enjoy!

Guru

Re: Unibroue Blanche de Chambly

Well tonight I finally opened a bottle of their Blanche de Chambly and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I personally really have liked most Unibroues I have had till now, but this one just didn't do a whole lot for me. Very light, hardly an 'thickness' or malt and not much flavor.

During last weeks Labor Day party where the entire NYC sb crew was over we opened a bottle of Don de Dieu and everyone was extremely pleased with it as was I. Thick and creamy with a nice blend of spice and bitterness along with some sweetness... We then opened a bottle of Eau Benite which people liked but were not wow'd with. I think it was good but honestly having it right after the Don de Dieu made it harder to be liked! I didn't take pics of bottles that night, we were having too much fun! But trust me, ALOT of beer and bourbon was enjoyed that night... Along with nearly 8 racks of baby back ribs and steak.

So thus far I must say my favorite 3 Unibroues have been Don de Dieu, Maudite and Terrible. But keep in mind, I still have many more to try!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Administrator in exile

I'm glad somebody got that