Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator in exile

Bottling Day

I bottled my brew this evening. Man, bottling is a pain in the @ss. I took another gravity and it had fallen to 1.016. I tasted my new, flat beer and it is comming along quite nicely. The sharpness has faded considerably and the beer is becomming quite floral in the nose.

So, I boiled 3/4 cup corn sugar with 2 cups water for 5 minutes to sterilize. After cooling I added the syrup to my bottling bucket (5 gallon plastic bucket with a ball valve drain). I then racked my beer from the secondary to the botting bucket, thus mixing the sugar and the beer. This will effectively "recharge" the yeast still in the beer and cause another, smaller fermentation inside the bottle. After 2-3 weeks the beer will be carbonated by the CO2 released during this fermentation.

I filled a combination of 12 and 16oz bottles. I'll begin tasting them in about 7 days to check for carbonation. They should be at their peak around festival time.

P.S. Sorry there are no pictures of this process, but Leslie was away and I was doing the bottling by myself, and I only have 2 hands

Guru

Re: Bottling Day

Yes, bottling was such a pain it is the main reason I stopped homebrewing, some 18 years ago. To me, cleaning the bottles and capping them after filling were the worst parts.

Tim

Administrator in exile

Damn this is good beer. 128 IBU's for the hophead in you A little sweeter than I intended, but I have made adjustments in my mash schedule to fix this problem, I hope. I'll be bringing a buunch of this to the festival, along with an Irish Stout that I made a while back. I hope you'll enjoy it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I hope you'll enjoy it.
    What I want to say starts with "B" and ends with "ee", but I ain't goin' there!!

Maybe you'll let me fill my bottle for the 5K run with some?

Enthusiast

Jeff, nicely done. I enjoyed reading your progress. I'd like to see a picture of your beer in a clear glass. Better yet, taste it!

Did you use finings or irish moss?

Advanced Taster

that was very fascinating for somebody as clueless to home beer making as I am.

Administrator in exile

Dave,

I used Irish moss, though I forgot to put it in until the last 5 minutes of the boil, so it didn't do much to clear the primary. I did manage to use it properly on an Amber Ale I brewed last night and it kept the trub in the fermenter to less than half of what showed in my erlier picture.

I'll post a pic later this week. I am wanting to do a side-by-side with the real thing to see how closely I copied it.