I have almost no experience with canadian whiskies (hope this is the right spelling for canadian whisky/whiskies), save for some Crown Royal a few years ago. (I remember it as having definite rye character: it was very clear even to my novice palate. And, of course, very smooth.) But I have tended to avoid the whole genre after learning that canadian whisky makers are allowed by law to add, to every ten parts whisky, up to as much as one part of other potable substances, such as straight bourbon, straight rye, sherry, and even fruit juice. There is no requirement that they use any additives, but they have the option. I just do not like the fact that they do not have to disclose any such additives on the labels and who wants to pay whisky prices for fruit juice (even prune juice!) or sherry? And how does it factor in when a canadian whisky carries an age statement, since nobody would age fruit juice!
I would hope that no canadian whisky maker actually avails themselves of this option, but it certainly opens up a door to higher profit. All in all, I much prefer the bourbon laws, which rule out all additives, period. Then the color of the bourbon says something about the barrel(s) that contributed to the bottles we buy. With scotch, caramel coloring is allowed, which is a practice that is just starting to fall into disfavor. Bourbon never had that problem, thankfully. So, anybody know how prevalent the use of additives is in current canadian whiskies? Enquiring minds and all that. Cheers, Ed V.