Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Book

"The Book" is what I've been calling it, but the actual title is Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey. I delivered it to the printer today and should have it in a couple of weeks. Retail price will be $22.95. It's 266 pages (284 with all the roman numeraled stuff). I'm working on some kind of a coupon/discount for StraightBourbon.com members. More on that later.

So, what is it? Well, it's a narrative, a story, or series of stories, not an encyclopedia. It is meant to be read, not referenced (although I did bust my ass on the index). I talk about the stuff you'd expect, how it's made, the history, where the name "bourbon" comes from. Because of my background, I also talk about the business side, marketing and such. As the title suggests, there is a fair amount of de-bunking. I'm not promoting any distilleries or products, so it's all the truth as close as I could find it. It is about American whiskey, not just bourbon per se. There is a tasting guide and 35 product reviews.

What else? As the back cover copy says, "It is richly detailed, clear, authoritative, insightful, independent and fun to read."

Respecting the non-commercial nature of this site, when I actually have books to sell I will post a web site address and that will be it with the plugging, though I'm happy to answer any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: The Book

Let me say I will be looking forward to adding a copy to my small Bourbon Library. Is that a picture of the old TW Samuels warehouses at Deatsville? If so an interesting choice. I don't believe that design was used extensively although I do think Heaven Hill may have had a building or 2 like those and lost them in the fire.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Bravo, Chuck!!!

Look forward to the read!

Thanks for all you do for bourbonia!!!

Connoisseur

Can't wait! Chuck, I am sure it will a great success!

You're so good. It was inspired by the Deatsville houses.

Administrator in exile

I'm looking forward to it. Will you be hosting a signing during the festival?

Guru

First of all, congrats Chuck and goold luck with it. I, like Bobby, was struck right away by the rickhouse design used. Great choice Chuck, the book is alredy standing out!

I'm going to try to arrange for something at a Bardstown book store during the festival, but will also be available informally at the gazebo and such.

Well, nobody needed to see another bottle and glass. (Here are the original models at Deatsville.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Re: The Book -- TOASTED

I now have a mint julep in my hand. I offer a toast to Chuck and to much success with the book!