Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: buffalo trace

Apprentice

Re: buffalo trace

Many thanks

Enthusiast

how does taste compare to JB?
    Very very different. Much more rye and citrus character (BT), none of that oily licorice (JB). I'm warming to JB black (after enjoying Booker's a great deal) but JB is not my cup of tea really.

With regards Milroys - great selection but complete rip off.

Stagg 2003 - 105 = $193 (they are now out of stock)
    Sazerac - 80 = $ 147 (this is quite outrageous).

Milroy's is kind of snobby but the guy knows his booze, whereas in the vintage house you are on your own - they seem to know very little about American whisky - but they are friendly.

Another shop in London www.coventgardenwhiskyshop.co.uk (I've not been there).

Also check this link:
    http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whi.../uk/shops.html

Anyway cheers,

Bamber.

Apprentice

Yea, know what you are saying there, I don't like that snobby attitude either. I don't mind the occasional drop of JB black, but doesn't have that maple flavour that I really like, was hoping BT was more like that, interesting what you say about the citrus angle with it, I look forward to trying it. Thanks for links by the way.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The last time I was at Milroy's (a couple of years ago) I found the people very nice and approachable. The manager at the time hailed from Newcastle; he was most helpful and informative, and also happened to know about real ale and CAMRA which are other interests of mine. When visiting any shop I tend not to show "how much" I know, I just go with the flow because I like to see what the vendors think of whisky, how they present it to customers, how they view the industry, etc. I found Milroy's first rate in these respects.

As for prices, there I can't comment as much. Of course, London can be high-priced. I recall seeing good values in London here and there. In the Tesco in High Street Kensington (of all places) there was great pricing on Connemara from Ireland. Oddbins has offered, and still may, excellent own-label malts, designated by region, that were good value (the so-called coloured label series). As I recall, some prices at Milroy's were good, some seemed high, but then all bourbon is imported of course to the U.K...

Gary

Guru

I don't know if you can find either of these, but my two favorites that come to mind for maple flavor/aroma are Elijah Craig 12-year old and George Dickel No. 12 (not a bourbon, but a Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky, which is very similar to bourbon).

Tim

Apprentice

I will keep an eye out for either of those, just found a shop that sells Bulleit down the road from where I work, I wondered if it's worth it as seems very expensive at 40.

Enthusiast

The last time I was at Milroy's (a couple of years ago) I found the people very nice and approachable. The manager at the time hailed from Newcastle;
    [snip]
    As I recall, some prices at Milroy's were good, some seemed high, but then all bourbon is imported of course to the U.K...

This makes me feel rather sad and means that I definitely wont be going back there again. Sure he knew his stuff but I felt like he did not like myself and my friend spoiling the ultra middle class atmosphere of his little shop.

As for the prices check this:

http://www.shop-lareserve.co.uk/La_R...iskey_152.html

These are the highest prices I have seen bar none.

The scotch prices are little better.

If I seem bitter, forgive because I am. I was really looking forward to visiting this shop and had already preordered 150 worth of whisky. I rarely get a chance to talk to someone face to face about something I really enjoy and he had no time for me.

Anyway I need a drink

Enthusiast

I will keep an eye out for either of those, just found a shop that sells Bulleit down the road from where I work, I wondered if it's worth it as seems very expensive at 40.
    Too much - normally around 22 - 26

Nice whisky though

Cheers,

Bamber.

Apprentice

Thanks, I will pass it by and keep looking.

Apprentice

Trying to find out if anyone knows if you can get buffalo trace in the U.K.? And what the taste is like?
    empire: Buffalo Trace is basically the brand of KSBW that has opened my eyes to bourbons in general and made me want to learn more. I have my parents to thank for this because they visit close friends who retired not long ago to the Louisville area. Last year they went on the BT distillery tour and came back with cases of the stuff and gave much of it away to the family as Christmas presents. This went over very well, me included!

I didn't know bourbon from scotch or anything else until recently (drank Jack Daniel's on occasion and mixed it into rather disgusting concoctions at that). In lieu of providing my own tasting notes, which I wouldn't trust for my total lack of experience with such things, I'll quote the short summation blurb on BT from a Wine & Spirits magazine article (June 2004, p. 29): "...[H]as an assertive aroma of vanilla and dried fruit; it's rounded and balanced, with a clear corn sweetness. ..." The adjective I think most needs to be added to this would be 'smooth'.