Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasure

Advanced Taster

Re: Guilty Pleasure

I'm glad this thread was revived. I found a few bottles of Old Fitzgeralds 1849 at a store in Michigan a year or so ago and they still had the old tax stamp on them! The guy sold them to me for $10 each and I still have one unopened. Not sure of the year, but hasn't it been 15-18 years since they stopped using the tax stamp? (Also, found some Old Charter Classic 90 in NC at an ABC store for $13) Anyway, great whiskey at $10. Blows me away everytime. Also, and no one mentioned this. McAfees Benchmark 8 yr. I like it! Great long, sweet finish with the wood taking over about a minute later. Really awesome for $7.90/750ml in Ohio!!!! Also, one of the best "cheapos" (can't get in Ohio) is WL Weller 12 year old. This stuff just kicks! All this talk about "expensive" bourbons is great, and I have my share (I have over 75 opened bottlings), but most of my favorite come from the "under $20" range. Like AAA 10yr, AAA BIB, Elijah Craig 12 year, Wild Turkey 101 (need I say more). Plus the Ryes that are out there cheap, Wild Turkey Rye (great rye), Rittenhouse, Pikesville Supreme, none of them suck! Let's face it, who wants to drink a bottle of Distilliers Masterpiece Port wood finish ($200+) when playing cards with friends? Not me guys...

Barry

Administrator in exile

You know, if all I could have for the rest of my life was Weller 12yo and AAA 10yo, I would die a happy man.

Advanced Taster

Throw in ANYTHING by Wild Turkey and I'd be right beside you drinkin' our beloved bourbon on our death beds.

Barry

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Congratulations, Sharkman. That authentic Stitzel-Weller 1849 would have been a bargain at several times the price.

Tax stamps went away in the early 1980s. Can't pin it down closer than that because although companies weren't required to use them, many continued to until they came up with an alternative tamper-evident seal. The requirement ended early in the Reagan administration, but I don't know exactly when. However, you can safely assume that anything with a tax stamp on it is at least 20 years old.

Enthusiast

Okay, this is hard for me to do, but here goes. I think Old Forester is a fine everyday bourbon for the price. Ah, now that wasn't so bad.

Ken

Advanced Taster

Congratulations, Sharkman. That authentic Stitzel-Weller 1849 would have been a bargain at several times the price.

Thanks Chuck! Guess I should have bought all of them. He had about 10 boxed bottles left. If I gave you any info on the bottle, could you help me nail down the age? The spirit in these bottles is pretty good I might add. I'm enjoying a nip right now as a metter of fact.

Barry

If the tax stamps do not have dates on them, then it is near the end of the tax stamp era. It really doesn't matter, though, because it's Stitzel-Weller whiskey. That's the point.

Connoisseur

Actually Chuck, Old Fitzgerald 1849 was not a bonded bourbon, so there would not be any dates on the red tax stamp.
    Mike Veach

Advanced Taster

Chuck, you keep making me want to taste this again and again. You really think highly of SW, huh?

Barry

You really think highly of SW, huh?
    Yes.