Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Old Fitzgerald 1849

Is anybody out there as big of a fan of Old Fitzgerald 1849 as I am? I always considered it one of the better products given to me at United Distillers during the employee quota give away. I am down to my last bottle and I guess I will have to actually by one or more now to keep my bar stocked. It has a very rich caramel flavor with a hint of wood. The color is a nice deep amber and at 90 proof and 8 years of age it is a great bargin of a bourbon.
    Mike Veach

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Old Fitzgerald 1849

As you know, I am fond of all the Stitzel-Weller products, including 1849. Only thing is, I don't see it around here very often.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Would y'all suggest that I buy a bottle of 1849 or just go full bull with Very Special Old Fitzgerald?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

**DONOTDELETE**

Linn,
    The 1849 is a very good bourbon and cheaper than the Very Special Old Fitzgerald. The only thing is I don't know if Heaven Hill is going to continue to make this label since the 1849 date actually comes from the founding date of W.L. Weller and Sons. Under the Van Winkles it was Weller 1849 but the new owners decided that Old Fitzgerald was the bigger name so they stuck the date on the Old Fitzgerald name. It might very well become a "rare bourbon" to find.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

Mike,
    The 1849 name may have originally related to W.L. Weller, but the actual whiskey (at least currently) would still have been Fitzgerald, wouldn't it? Okay, I suppose that was a moot point until the buy-offs, but when HH bought the Old Fitzgerald label I think they also bought all the Old Fitzgerald stock as well, didn't they? That doesn't always happen, of course, but I thought I read that it did this time. So even if they should choose to name it something else, it would be the same whiskey.

I can see why Heaven Hill might not keep the "1849" designation; aside from the fact that Buffalo Trace now has perfect justification for using it on W.L. Weller products it now owns. HH has spent a great deal of time and resources associating its product with Evan Williams and Elijah Craig, two distillers who date from the 1780's (indeed, there already is a 10-year-old "Evan Williams 1783" brand). I don't suppose using "1849" on a label would be much of a prestige-enhancer for them. Hey! Among all their old, retired labels, wouldn't it be ironic to find that Heaven Hill has owned the rights to "Old Judge" all these years? That would sure be a great name for the product!

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

John,
    I am not sure what the contract with Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace is but in 1993 when U.D. sold brands to Heaven Hill part of the deal was to supply bourbon to support the brands until Heaven Hill had their own bourbon for the brands. I would think that the deal this time was similar to the 93 deal. I can not see why it would not be because U.D. had a sea of wheat recipe bourbon and they sold off all of their wheat recipe bourbon's except Rx and I doubt that they need much bourbon for Rx. Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace should have plenty of good bourbon for the next 6 or 7 years.
    Mike Veach

Advanced Taster

Veach:

> Is anybody out there as big of a fan of Old Fitzgerald 1849 as I am?

Huge. Might be my second favorite midline bourbon. Much as I like the VSOF 12 YO, the 1849 is always the first Fitz I recommend to people. In fact, it's usually the first wheated bourbon I recommend. I'm downright evangelical about it sometimes.

> It has a very rich caramel flavor with a hint of wood.

Mmm-hmm. I also get a little soft mint/basil depending on what I've eaten that day.

Stotz

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Rx?

Since you brought it up, Mike, you might want to tell people about Rx. I know about it, but am probably the only one here besides you who does.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Just found a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 1849 in a store in Indiana for under $15. It is very nice, but I do like the hearty richness of the Bottled in Bond Fitz a little better. The 1849 would be perfect for when I am in the mood for something a little lighter, but still with lots of flavor. When I get home I plan on tasting these side by side.

I had to go through several stores before I found this bottle, and it was the last one on the shelf, perhaps it is not being distributed lately, anyone know?

Mark A. Mason, El Dorado, Arkansas

Advanced Taster

They're still making Rx? No freaking way. Of all the things UD decides to keep selling, they pick Rx. My mind doesn't get blown very often, but this did it. Did it sell particularly well in KY/IN, or do they just have labels they need to use up?

Stotz