Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Macallan using bourbon barrels

This September, Macallan is coming out with a new line of single malts. The Fine Oak collection will feature whiskey aged in bourbon barrels. Details:

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release...lease_id=71121

Omar

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Macallan using bourbon barrels

Interesting. I had a Macallan aged in a bourbon barrel as sold by Hart, the well-known merchant. So it wasn't official Macallan. I must say, based on that sample, that the whisky struck me as sort of pallid. Howver possibly this new series, aged under official Macallan auspices, will back up Michael Jackson's statement. Macallan is an innovative brand, their Decade Series is very interesting, certainly. Some of that whisky was not aged in new sherry wood (hallmark of The Macallan) but I think they used reused sherry casks where first-fillings were not used, i.e., I don't think they used any bourbon barrel-aged whisky for any of that series. So this announcement indicates something that is really a departure for them. Anyway, all the Decade Series (20's, 30's, 40's, 50's) were very good.

Gary

Connoisseur

That might just make me eat my words...I always promised myself I'd never buy another Macallan because it's so sherry-laden.

Advanced Taster

It's great to see an established distillery taking risks like this. Not exactly innovative, since bourbon casks have long been used for age Scotch, but certainly new for Macallan.

This decision must have been made more than 20 years ago? There's something so fascinating about the way change happens in this industry. The results of small changes in water, stills, mash bills, barrels/casks/butts, etc. will not be entirely clear for 5, 10, or 20 years down the line. A beautiful, romantic and completely crazy way of doing business. I love it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Gary, if the Decade series is available in your area, buy the 1940's one. It is much less sherried than normal. Also, it uses a certain amount of peated Macallan (the standard Macallan today is very lightly peated if at all) because in the war years coal was short and the distillery reverted to peat to dry the malt. This is a Macallan with character.

Gary

Connoisseur

I also just read this article and wonder why such a great whiskey is debuting a new product line. Didn't they just stop marketing their 15 yr malt in the U.S. and limit the 18 yr due to shortages?

Perhaps they had a shortage of spanish oak casks and stored their excess whiskies in bourbon and refill sherry casks. Such whisky is usually sold to independants and blenders. So maybe this is just a marketing gimmick to cover their shortage of world reknowned malt.

Connoisseur

Maybe...but that new 15y sounds intriguing.
    Omar

Connoisseur

Yes they do sound intriguing. I will definitely try the 15 yr.

Enthusiast

Macallan, without sherry. Sounds all wrong to me. Its like those 17YO expressions of Ardbeg and Bowmore that are apparently more subtle. I find them thin and disappointing - not enough peat. When you drink Macallan you expect sherry (I think its delicious). If its not to your liking there are quite a few other Scotches to choose from.

Cheers,

B.

Connoisseur

Macallan, without sherry. Sounds all wrong to me. Its like those 17YO expressions of Ardbeg and Bowmore that are apparently more subtle. I find them thin and disappointing - not enough peat. When you drink Macallan you expect sherry (I think its delicious). If its not to your liking there are quite a few other Scotches to choose from.
    I get where you're coming from with the whole 'sacrilege' bit, but I know on many occasions when I've tasted Macallans I've thought to myself "gosh, I know there must be some really good whisky in there, but it's overwhelmed by all this Godawful sherry."

More power to you if that's your thing, but I am definitely intrigued by this new release.