Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Apprentice

Re: Macallan using bourbon barrels

I'll start off by noting that I am partial to the traditional sherried Macallan.

Last week I went a tasting for the new "Fine Oak" Macallan. There are 3 versions, 10, 15, and 21 yrs. old. I personnally did not enjoy any of them, without the sherry I felt I could find many other malts that would be better. I am not sure what the prices will be yet.

Also, they changed the bottle shape and packaging on the old line-up as well.

David (sorry no tasting notes to post)

Enthusiast

I get where you're coming from with the whole 'sacrilege' bit, but I know on many occasions when I've tasted Macallans I've thought to myself "gosh, I know there must be some really good whisky in there, but it's overwhelmed by all this Godawful sherry."

More power to you if that's your thing, but I am definitely intrigued by this new release.

Truth is - I'll buy a bottle I just can't see it holding up against the best of the Speyside and Highland malts without the Sherry ... only one way to find out I guess

Cheers,

B.

Connoisseur

Truth is - I'll buy a bottle I just can't see it holding up against the best of the Speyside and Highland malts without the Sherry ... only one way to find out I guess
    That appears to be the case...at least that's what David posted about it (he was privaleged enough to taste it already!?). In a way I'm disappointed--I always had assumed that the underlying malt to the Macallan was exceptional, but now it seems like it *NEEDS* the sherry for camoflauge. Or, maybe it's built from the 'ground up' to be a sherry-fest. Oh well...like you said, there are plenty of other malts.

Enthusiast

It would appear so - but we all have different tastes - so I'll try the cheapest expression at least.

I like Sherry so its no surprise I like Macallan.

BTW my favourite Highland whisky is Highland Park 18YO. In fact its my favourite Scotch.

Cheers,

B.

Apprentice

It would appear so - but we all have different tastes - so I'll try the cheapest expression at least
    Exactly, we all have different tastes, so I am sure that the new Macallans will appeal to many, maybe more so to those who do not enjoy the current sherried versions. I really enjoy Balvenie in all its various expressions but I know some people who don't enjoy any of them. My initial disappointment will not stop me from resampling the new Macallans at WhiskyFest this November.

This tasting that I attended was a media launch at a hotel in NYC. The regular Macallan 12 and Cask Strength versions were also served and no doubt helped to form my impressions. I did come away with some very nice glassware in the giftbag they gave out.

I have tried a few independent versions of Macallan that were not sherried and that I enjoyed, specifically a 20 yr old bottled by Signatory from 1975.

In terms of price, it looks like the 10 will be around $44, the 15 at $65, and the 21 at $220.

-David

Enthusiast

I'm very fond of Balvenie also, save the Doublewood. Sounds like a nice afternoon tasting all those new whiskies.

What's your favourite regular Macallan - I must admit I really enjoy the cask strength and generally stick to that. The 18YO is good but a bit pricey for what it - is IMHO.

Cheers,

B.

Apprentice

I also enjoy the Cask Strength. I used to drink the 18yr on a regular basis when it was $60 a bottle, but not only did the price go up but the quality went down. Perhaps my favorite Macallan was the Gran Reserva 18 yr that was out a few years ago. That was pricey but worth it. I'm not sure but I think that it has been discontinued.

I pour the Balvenie 15yr and the Islay Cask fairly often and if you ever come across a bottle of Aberlour 18 then grab it. That was a US only version and my favorite Aberlour but it was replaced by the 21yr which was more expensive.

-David

Enthusiast

Cheers - I'll keep an eye out for it.