Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Wiser\'s deluxe 10YO

Just ordered a bottle of Weller 19YO and thought I'd better get something else as the postage is the same.

JM rated it as 93. Two higher than VWFR rye 13YO but the same as JB rye

Anyway its my first bottle of Canadian for many years and, well, I'm not that impressed. Its like a mixture of American rye and Vodka. In fact it really does have a Vodka-ish edge to the palate. I have a feeling it will probably make a decent whisky sour as it does have some edge to it.

On the plus side it is very drinkable and unoffensive but does not compare to American whisky or Scotch in terms of complexity or intensity (IMHO).

I have a feeling the Weller may make ammends

Cheers,

B.

Apprentice

Re: Wiser\'s deluxe 10YO

Hi Bamber

IMHO JM's scores in particular those for blends are
    In his excellent book, our own Chuck devotes an entire chapter on the subject of scores and why they are bull – I have to agree with him.
    I do know that JM’s scores are not always to be trusted upon – his notes during a tasting are not always 100% accurate.

Enthusiast

With 2000 whiskies tasted I suppose he may have been rather blended when he tasted the blends

I get the feeling that as he's a blender himself, he probably appreciates their work beyond what actually goes into the bottle.

I look forward to reading Chuck's book.

Cheers,

B.

Apprentice

Hi Bamber

I would agree with you.
    One of his latest creations is called DANTAZ it’s a blend of Danish Aquavit and Tasmanien Spirit. He did it last time he was in Denmark – shortly before the royal wedding.
    I haven’t tasted it but I’ve been told it’s

One of the things I like about him is that he is really trying to heighten peoples awareness for American whiskey

Enthusiast

That blend sounds savage

With regards heightening people's awareness of American whisky, I think you're absolutely right. I find his book a useful tool in my campaign to convert my peer group from Scotch to Bourbon. Although, the silly ratings do damage his credibility in their eyes.

As a resource, his book has no equal. It reminds of a quality essay - No waffle, all content and he's certainly entitled to his opinion.

Cheers,

B.

Apprentice

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Enthusiast

Tks -

Connoisseur

Even though I haven´t tasted Wiser´s, your description easily fits in with the Canadian whiskys that I´ve encountered, purported to be premium bottlings. The lone exception being Lot 40 (it was dragged down by an almost non-existent finish, though). I´ve really tried to enjoy Canadian whisky but I cannot put it in the same league as bourbon, scotch or Irish.

As for Mr. Murray : his strongest point, to me, is his ability to entertain. Most whisky writers bore me to death but his writing carry an almost childlike enthusiasm which coupled with competence and non-pretentiousness makes for thoroughly enjoyable reading. As for his ratings of Canadians and standard bottlings of blended Scotch, well, they´re a mystery to me, too.

Enthusiast

Last night I tried mixing some Pikesville (this name always makes me laugh as it sounds like a city populated with 'undesirables' in English slang because Pikey = undesirable) with some Vodka to see if it tasted like the Canadian but it was not right (pretty horrible).

Straight vodka was, however, very similar and less than half the price.

Last Canadian for a while.

Apprentice

Hejsa Hedmans

His writing is borring compared to the man in persona. If you have the chance visit the Copenhagen Whiskey fare. He'll usually be around holding one or two tastings and just generally chit chatting with people.
    The next one should be in march 05. It's fantastic - pay aprox. $30 and spend 4 hours sampling +200 whiskey's. There are usually a lot of drunk sweeds around - you know what we say about drunk sweeds in Denmark.....