Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Manhattan

Connoisseur
    Never heard that about the cherries, but that might explain a few things. I'll waste no time bumping it up to five.

I think the whiskey is transitional since the bottle is bottom stamped '93 and the label is both Frankfort and Clermont. I'm thinking bottled by Beam, but maybe older stock that they acquired with the brand. I suppose it's possible that it's the first Beam-distilled Taylor, but I'd bet otherwise. I'll pull out an older 86 proof bottle that I have for comparison.

Regardless, this whiskey makes a very fine Manhattan when paired with the Noilly.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Recently I "learned" that drink garnishes should always be odd numbers, three cherries or five, but not four. Some kind of superstition. I don't have details.
    This is true. Don't know the reason either, but I worker at a bar that got in such large olives that a skewer would only hold two and one old-timer would send his martinis back.

Personally I'm a twist person and that holds true whether it's a martini or manhatten. I don't like the extra salt and oil in my martini (gin, please) and the cherry in a manhatten just seems take it past my own sweetness point.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

My Perfect Manhattan

I like "Perfect" Manhattans, which as defined in most cocktail recipes involves both sweet and dry vermouth. Lately, I seem to be enjoying a Knob Creek Perfect Manhattan, with 5 parts bourbon, 1 part dry vermouth, a splash of sweet vermouth, a slightly larger splash of Southern Comfort (100 proof), and a couple of shakes of bitters. This is stirred in my shaker (not shaken, as I don't like it to come out cloudy, NOT because I believe in the "bruising" theory), and served straight up in a cocktail glass with a single stemmed cherry. About the only variation on the above is the type of bourbon (or rye) that I use. I never use the very best sipping bourbons (though I'm sure the Manhattan would be delicious!), just because I think something like Pappy 20 yr or Eagle Rare 17 yr is best enjoyed by itself. Anyway, I've just made myself thirsty enough to go in the bar and make one now!
    Dave K.

"Time Flies whether you're having fun or not."
    Or, as Kermit the Frog would say after a pour or two: "Time is fun when you are having flies!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    This sounds excellent.

Gary

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    I had a Perfect Manhattan for the first time this past weekend. At one of my favorite bars in Seattle, ZigZag Cafe, and asked for a Manhattan. Bartender suggested a Perfect and made it with OGD 114. Very nice.

Virtuoso
    I'm going to have to try the Perfect variety sometime - or even a dry version (white vermouth only). Lately I've had more Red Hooks than actual Manhattans... but they are quite tasty in their own right.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleBarrel
    I like "Perfect" Manhattans, which as defined in most cocktail recipes involves both sweet and dry vermouth. Lately, I seem to be enjoying a Knob Creek Perfect Manhattan, with 5 parts bourbon, 1 part dry vermouth, a splash of sweet vermouth, a slightly larger splash of Southern Comfort (100 proof), and a couple of shakes of bitters. This is stirred in my shaker (not shaken, as I don't like it to come out cloudy, NOT because I believe in the "bruising" theory), and served straight up in a cocktail glass with a single stemmed cherry. About the only variation on the above is the type of bourbon (or rye) that I use. I never use the very best sipping bourbons (though I'm sure the Manhattan would be delicious!), just because I think something like Pappy 20 yr or Eagle Rare 17 yr is best enjoyed by itself. Anyway, I've just made myself thirsty enough to go in the bar and make one now!
    I remembered reading this a few nights ago and here is the Manhattan I just made that is fantastic. By the way....it is THE FIRST time I have ever tried dry vermouth in a manhattan.
    Ok...In a good size rock glass that I filled with about 3/4 ice. Maybe 7 cubes? I poured in 2 shots of Sazerac Rye then I took a shot glass, filled it with 1/2 dry vermouth, the other 1/2 sweet vermouth. I poured that in. I then added maybe 3 or 4 shakes of bitters. I have to say, I didn't think I would like the dry vermouth in there but it REALLY enhanced the flavor.
    I may try another!

Enthusiast

Re: The Manhattan

I have just had the best Manhattan I can recall having made. It was a Gilmanized base.

The proportions:

1 oz. Wild Turkey rye
    1 oz. Old Forester 100 proof
    3/4 oz. Boissiere sweet vermouth
    2 dashes Angostura bitters

Made and served on the rocks (although I generally prefer them "up.")

I really enjoyed the spicy character from the rye. Very balanced proportions.

Cheers

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There is something terribly sophisticated about making a whiskey cocktail with two different whiskeys.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    There is something terribly sophisticated about making a whiskey cocktail with two different whiskeys.

This is true. That is why I just made a Manhattan with 1oz of Woodford Reserve, 1oz of Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year 107, 1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth, 1/2 oz Dry Vermouth and a few dashes of bitters...on the rocks....many rocks... I love it...the Rip Van Winkle really enhances the flavor.