Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Tequila

Dining in a Mexican restaurant the other night, I enjoyed a Herradura Reposado. If bourbon is often misunderstood and wrongly considered a harsh, unsophisticated drink, tequila has it even worse. Sipping a Herradura Reposado neat is a lovely experience. I would do it much more often if there weren't so much bourbon to drink.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Tequila

Chuck......In the Price of Tequila thread, I stated the Herradura Reposado is my favorite tequila. Next time, try the reposado by El Tesoro as its also quite good.

Randy

Advanced Taster

you bring up a good point when mentioning tequila's perceived harshness. I have had Tequila on ice before and I really enjoyed it in the company of some friends who looked at me like I was crazy. I offered them some and said that it was very gentle and they gave me the crazy eye and backed off. their loss, my gain.
    so many people think that Bourbon and Tequila are gasolines. i dont know about you guys but ive had some beers and ales that have a much harsher flavor and aftertaste then my beloved EWSB, so it really catches my attention when people down that stuff, then bash Bourbon for being hard-core on the palate.

Enthusiast

My next neighbor is a wonderful man. He barely speaks a lick of English and needs to have his daughter translate for him. I would say that he is the Mexican equivalent of some of you guys. He has a bunker but it is solid Tequila. Multiple bottles of Tequila adorn his living room right next to his shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe. He is very cool. Anyway, I gave him a table and an entertainment center yesterday and he comes back with a bottle of Cazadores Resposado for me. His daughter tells me that when he went to Mexico recently, he picked up three bottles. One for his father, one for himself, and one for me. To him, this is a HUGE present. To me as well to be honest. So I thank him for the wonderful gift and go inside my house to enjoy. Now, I've had Cazadores Resposado before and have loved it every time. However, this time, there was something different. When, I opened it, it smelled like a wonderful margarita. Just very fragrant. Now I'm not sure if the Mexicans save the best tequila for themselves but they must for this was the best tequila I have ever had. I'm planning on getting him a bottle of bourbon for Christmas so hopefully he will appreciate it as much as I appreciate his gift.

Guru

Nice story. I hope your neighbor enjoys your gift as much as you do his. One of my best friends and I swap bottles every Christmas, Bushmills for him and Wild Turkey 101 for me. I don't know about the Bushmills, but that is the finest Wild Turkey I can imagine because of the source.

Connoisseur

Tequila is my first love when it comes to spirits. I have amassed quite a collection of anejo (aged) tequilas. Here is my link.

https://67.85.199.137/em/tequila.nsf/pgown

I have tried nearly 100 types of tequila and am a HUGE fan. I especially like it with the traditional mexican chaser of sangrita. A spicy/tomato drink to sip after each sip of fine tequila.

Enthusiast

The Cazadores Resposado I got from my next door neighbor is the Mexican version. It seemed very smooth, and as I was looking at the label it was 70 something proof instead of the usual 80 proof American import. Anyone have any idea why the difference?

Connoisseur

The tequilas expored into the US carry an 80 proof, while the ones that remain in Mexico are 76. Not sure why really, but that's the trend.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

US law requires straight spirits, including tequila, to be sold at at least 80 proof. They can sell it at a lower proof, but they would have to label it "diluted."

A lot of spirits outside the U.S. are sold at 70, 74 or 76 proof.

Why 80? It's arbitrary, much like the 21-year-old drinking age. You have to draw a line somewhere. It's consumer protection, so you don't have to look at the proof of everything you buy. If you buy a straight spirit (whiskey, brandy, tequila, rum, gin, vodka, etc.) it will be no less than 80 proof and you can count on that. As it happens, most producers have adopted the minimum as the standard, so most straight spirits products are sold at 80 proof.

Guru

Can you give us a good recipe for sangrita? Or, is it just something you buy?

Tim