Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Tequila

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Tequila and cognac are spirits I have never quite come to terms with. Their flavor is very pronounced, and unique, and either you like them or you don't. Sure there are different qualities, but still.
    I'm with you on the cognac or brandy. It is hard for me stomach it. Vodka is worse to me though - it turns my stomach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, these are acquired tastes and in general I find I cannot acquire them, but as with many things there are exceptions. I can see developing a taste for good reposado. Ive been reading up on tequila and most "repos" seem aged from a couple of months to about a year - perhaps I misread the 5 on mine and it wasn't aged 5 years (which seems too long I think for most brands anyway). However they made it, I like it!

Gary

Apprentice

The newest category in Tequila is Extra Anejo and (I believe) these are aged 3 years or more. Reposado can go up to just under a year and then it becomes anejo. Maybe the "5 anos" is referring to something else?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Probably, it says Reposado on the front, and 5 anos in the center of the label on the back, so it must refer to something else, maybe the number of years the Los Altos region has been recognized as a special tequila area, you can read it that way. I'll have to try some other aged types of tequila. It makes sense to me that some time will improve it but you don't want its essential quality overwhelmed by barrel qualities and I like the balance the Tequila Maya gets, it is both bland and tasty at the same time if that makes sense.

Gary

Connoisseur

Maybe the 5 anos refers to the age of the blue agave plant before being harvested? I am not sure, but reposados are by Mexican law less than a year aged in barrel.

As for 1800, there are a handful of 1800s (the crap mixto, Milenio, Coleccion, anejo) Unfortunately, most tequila sold is mixto (51% blue agave and the rest cheap fillers) and those are harsh and are what give tequila its bad name. My analogy is mixto is like JD.

If you want a nice drink on par with other fine spirits the anejo or extra anejos (3+) of 100% blue agave are the way to go. The prices are rising though as good tequila gets more popular.

If you really want to get a good feel for them, grab 4 bottles (5 if you got the $$). mixto, blanco, reposado, anejo, extra anejo.

Advanced Taster

I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but does anyone else have opinions of Lanazul reposado?

Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but does anyone else have opinions of Lanazul reposado?

Eric
    I loved it for the price. I got a btl at $16 some time ago...maybe 6 months. Now it's up to $20. But, it's still reasonable at that price imo.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    I loved it for the price. I got a btl at $16 some time ago...maybe 6 months. Now it's up to $20. But, it's still reasonable at that price imo.
    I saw it recently at the local discount liquor store for around $17 IIRC.

I am interested in trying out some "sipping" tequilas and possibly trying a proper margarita (no, put the blender and ice away!).

Eric

Guru

Don't know that I'd call Lunazul a sipper, but it made a great Margarita.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Don't know that I'd call Lunazul a sipper, but it made a great Margarita.
    It's gotta be better than the Cuervo gold my brother and I bought last year!

Next to the Lanazul there was Herradura reposado, can't remember the price but I know it had to be less that $30.

Eric