Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Tequila

Disciple

Re: Tequila

No complaints against Herradura. Really nice. I'll say it again...Siete Leguas. It's really , really good. I don't claim to be a tequila nerd, but it makes me wanna turn into one. $40 for the blanco, and I'd call it a sipper. Herradura is right there as well. I think Luna is more of a mixer, while Herradura , and Siete are more sippin friendly, even as blanco. However, the Luna does beat Jose 100% of the time imo.

Enthusiast

I was really surprised to learn how brief the time in oak is for Tequila. I figured an anejo was at least eight years. Wikipedia says that a reposado is two months to one year. Over a year is an anejo.

Disciple

Had a hoporita at New Holland last night. Not tequila, but it worked. A beer wash distilled twice and dry hopped. Finally a tequila-esque spirit for hop heads.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PAspirit1 View Post
    I was really surprised to learn how brief the time in oak is for Tequila. I figured an anejo was at least eight years. Wikipedia says that a reposado is two months to one year. Over a year is an anejo.
    It is brief, isn't it? But a little time in the oak goes a long way with tequila. I've had some that was barreled for only two years and there was a pronounced oaky flavor, so the agave must be fairly delicate and subject to great change when in the barrel even for relatively short periods of time.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

As with bourbon and other spirits the "experiments" of allowing more time to barrel age has been on a steady incline. Asom Broso even has an 11 year aged anejo. They recently added the extra anejo category due to all the anejos over 3 years. There are many anejos with 5 years of age. I think with time we may even see a 20 year anejo oneday!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    As with bourbon and other spirits the "experiments" of allowing more time to barrel age has been on a steady incline. Asom Broso even has an 11 year aged anejo. They recently added the extra anejo category due to all the anejos over 3 years. There are many anejos with 5 years of age. I think with time we may even see a 20 year anejo oneday!
    I hope this also does not portend that high quality blanco and repasado tequilas will be one their way out. What I like about tequila is you can get an unaged or minimaly aged spirit that tastes good.

Advanced Taster

Just yesterday I picked up a bottle of El Jimador 100% agave and it is pretty awesome! It's very earthy, spicy and a tad fruity and the finish is rather long with fruity/earthy tones lingering for quite some time. I HAVE to see if I can get it cheaper somewhere other than where I bought it yesterday($47/750mL, ouch!)

Enthusiast

My favoriite tequila was 7 Leguas Anejo I picked up in a tourist trap in Cancun. It had the nicest pure agave flavor I've had though I am no expert. Unfortunately I can't find it in KC and my Mexican friends liked it so much, it didn't survive it's first outing.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post
    My favoriite tequila was 7 Leguas Anejo I picked up in a tourist trap in Cancun. It had the nicest pure agave flavor I've had though I am no expert. Unfortunately I can't find it in KC and my Mexican friends liked it so much, it didn't survive it's first outing.
    Siete Leguas was the original producer for Patron. I love siete. It is very pure with loads of fruit complemented by wonderful agave spice.

Enthusiast

My parents got one of those last-minute-travel-deals for a trip to Playa Del Carmen the other day and I had a few hours to decide whether I wanted to go. One of the factors that weighed in my decision was to buy a few bottles of 7 Leguas while there.

In the end I decided to save my vacation for some other things. Like a week in Kauai and a few days on the Big Piney river.