Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila

Anyone know of any 100 proof Tequila besides JB Wagoners which is not quite Tequila anyway?
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Connoisseur

Sweet,

Why are you looking for 100 proof? I am pretty sure all (or most) tequila is either 80 proof (US imports) or 76 proof (in Mexico).

I am a huge tequila fan. It was the catalyst that started me on the articles and collecting and consuming premium spirits in all categories.
    Last edited by Vange; 05-09-2007 at 13:02.

Enthusiast

I've discovered that I do not care for spirits as much if they are 80 proof. I like them higher. So if I enjoy a good tequila at 80, then I wonder what a good tequila at 100 tastes like. I can't find any other than the aforementioned "Temequila" and I'm not sure if I want to spend 50 dollars on that.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

The PA LCB are closing out Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia at an only moderately scary price. It has a nose like cognac, with just enough of a vegetal cactus note to tell you it's tequila. At 80 proof there's no lack of flavor; again you can tell it's tequila, but it's dominated by sweet oranges, vanilla and smoke. It finishes long and slightly astringent. I will be reserving this for special occasions and guests.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by afisher View Post
    The PA LCB are closing out Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia at an only moderately scary price. It has a nose like cognac, with just enough of a vegetal cactus note to tell you it's tequila. At 80 proof there's no lack of flavor; again you can tell it's tequila, but it's dominated by sweet oranges, vanilla and smoke. It finishes long and slightly astringent. I will be reserving this for special occasions and guests.
    In its price range this is my favorite Tequila. I always have a bottle of this on hand. Shoppers Vineyard has this on sale for $72.

bj

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I happened by Village Liquors the other day and the Republic Beverage folks were there making a delivery and showing the owner some new products. They pressed me to taste and give an opinion on a new tequila they carry......Tezon. It is a new "super premium" tequila owned by Pernod Ricard. So first, here's the marketing hype.

100% tahona processed.......where they use a 2 ton millstone made from tezontle, a mexican volcanic stone. The pictures are impressive.

A three day fermentation of both the pulp and juice....most just ferment the juice.

Of course, its 100 % blue agave from their "estate".....no purchased plants.

Three days baking in their brick ovens.

So much for their story....how does it taste? They poured me their anejo....aged 18 to 20 months in oak. Very nice. The oak doesn't overshadow the spirit like I find in many anejo tequilas. This is very easy to drink.....somewhat analogous to some of the Van Winkle wheated bourbons compared to the rest of bourbondom. I asked the retail and was quoted $65....but I could have it at his wholesale price of $40 for being the first customer. So I ended up with it as I do enjoy tequila from time to time.

The packaging is a little hokey......a replica tezontle millstone for a bottle cap and a metal plate on one side of the bottle with hieroglyphics telling their story.

I haven't done a side by side with some of my other favorites yet.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    So much for their story....how does it taste? They poured me their anejo....aged 18 to 20 months in oak. Very nice. The oak doesn't overshadow the spirit like I find in many anejo tequilas. This is very easy to drink.....somewhat analogous to some of the Van Winkle wheated bourbons compared to the rest of bourbondom. I asked the retail and was quoted $65....but I could have it at his wholesale price of $40 for being the first customer. So I ended up with it as I do enjoy tequila from time to time.

Randy
    Sounds good Randy, curious did you only taste the Anejo? I know I rambled about this a bit at the Gazebo, but a lot of late night talk is kind of foggy... I'll have to keep my eyes open and grab a bottle of the Tezon.

I personally am not a fan typically of Anejos, and this past weekend in Oregon I tried the Mexican release version of Gran Centenaurio Anejo. I was not impressed and I don't think the the fact that it was only 76proof helped any! Its too bad because there Plata is one of my all time faves.

.... All that said I do very much enjoy the Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, which I believe is an Anejo.

Mark, as for higher proof Tequilas I have long wanted some myself, the only one I know of is the Herradura Blano (not silver) which is 92proof. Bevmo does typically carry it, have not tried it myself, but am getting thirsty...
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 05-15-2007 at 22:24.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    I happened by Village Liquors the other day and the Republic Beverage folks were there making a delivery and showing the owner some new products. They pressed me to taste and give an opinion on a new tequila they carry......Tezon. It is a new "super premium" tequila owned by Pernod Ricard. So first, here's the marketing hype.

100% tahona processed.......where they use a 2 ton millstone made from tezontle, a mexican volcanic stone. The pictures are impressive.

A three day fermentation of both the pulp and juice....most just ferment the juice.

Of course, its 100 % blue agave from their "estate".....no purchased plants.

Three days baking in their brick ovens.

The packaging is a little hokey......a replica tezontle millstone for a bottle cap and a metal plate on one side of the bottle with hieroglyphics telling their story.

Randy
    Interesting. I also got to try some Tezon at a local liquor store here in Dallas yesterday. The store was pouring the reposado and the blanco. They were both very good, I thought, showing strong flavors of pepper and herbs. In the case of the reposado, I picked up a bit of a dried fruit note. Both were, as you said, very smooth to my admittedly untrained tequila palate.

BTW, the store I tasted them at prices the anejo at $44 and the other two a couple of dollars less. I didn't buy them, as that's the everyday price, but I'll likely pick up the reposado or anejo soon.

I picked up a bottle up the Herradurra Blanco 92 proof today, I'll report back after I give it a tasting.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

My favorite: Don Julio 1942, a special edition anejo. Bought my first bottle at La Casa Del Tequila in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco--the home state of tequila--before it was even available in the U.S. Each side of the bottle is shaped like an agave leaf, although I think I've seen some bottle recently that are the usual Don Julio shape labelled 1942--not as distinctive.

Another esoteric favorite is 1921 Reserva Especial.

Tried Tezon at Adobo Grill on Wells St. (Old Town next to Second City) and really liked it. Bought a bottle when I saw it at Binny's.