Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I picked up a bottle up the Herradurra Blanco 92 proof today, I'll report back after I give it a tasting.
    And...did you taste it yet? I'm waiting.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Virtuoso

Longtime tequila drinker here, though I've recently been converted over to drinking bourbon.

I'm no 'tequila afficianado' by any means, mainly because I prefer the extra aged anejos over the blancos that most true tequila afficianados seem to prefer (probably why I recently switched to bourbon).

My favorite tequilas are Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia (though the past couple of years have not been as good as say the 2004 which I consider one of the very best years), Jose Cuervo Anejo (no longer made but just as good as the Reserva de la Familia IMO, still have several bottles bunkered), El Tesoro Paradiso, Don Julio 1942, Tonala Reserva Suprema 4yr. Those are the more expensive ones.

My favorite mid-priced tequilas are El Tesoro (all of them but I mostly like the anejo), vintage 'green-labeled' Chinaco Anejo (I still have several bottles of this and have never actually tried any of the newer style bottle), Espolon, Gran Centenario, and El Jimador Anejo.

I'm terrible at tasting notes and picking out flavors and stuff. About all I can say is that I either like it or I don't.

But honestly, after I recently became hooked on good bourbon there may be no turning back for me (shhhh...don't tell the folks in the tequila forum, I feel like I've betrayed them), and my wallet prefers bourbon too.

Edit: Oh, how could I leave out Porfidio Single Barrel Anejo as one of my favorites, but it's been out of production for a good while (probably why I forgot about it). There are newer versions of it which didn't seem as good to me as the old original stuff, but some other people have said it is still as good as ever so what do I know.

And Sweetmeats, the Herradura Blanco 46 (92 proof) is good but it is pretty hot stuff.
    Last edited by gblick; 07-02-2007 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetmeats View Post
    And...did you taste it yet? I'm waiting.
    Damn it Mark, I am so sorry! It is good, I am really not much for tasting notes, especially when it comes to tequila. I will say that for only being 12 proof higher there was some kind of a quicker kick to the blood stream or something. The nose on this was probably one of the best I have come across being very distinct citrus and pepper, all in all I'd have to say it is a very good drink. I have had it in shot form, as well as sipped with a squeeze of lime (a poor man's margarita) and it was super both ways. The bottle is over 1/2 gone so that should say something.

I don't work tomorrow so maybe I'll try some more specific notes tonight after taking a nap...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

I suck at tasting notes too so no worries. I went to BevMo and bought myself a bottle as well. Wonderful stuff.

Any idea how Brown Forman buying Herradura will effect it here? This one was distributed by Sazerac. I hope Brown Forman doesn't change anything.
    --Mark

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetmeats View Post

Any idea how Brown Forman buying Herradura will effect it here? This one was distributed by Sazerac. I hope Brown Forman doesn't change anything.
    Me too, HSS is my favorite tequila!

Enthusiast

Anyone tried those single village Mezcals? I'm thinking about trying one but 64 bucks is making me cringe.
    --Mark

Enthusiast

I've had the Chichicapa and the Minero. They are pricy, but they are worth it IMHO - especially the Minero! It helps if you like smokey flavours though. I wouldn't recommend someone buying it on a lark unless you have $$ to burn, but if you like the smokey taste of Mezcal, the Minero has a flavour profile clear as a bell (burnt lemon and honey) and powerful too. Helps that it's a bit overproof (for tequila/mezcal) at about 48% abv.

Taster

I gotta say, I'm surprised slightly that no one has mentioned el Jimador Reposado yet. I can't say that it's particularly "interesting" in any technical sense, but damn if it doesn't do double-duty as both a great margarita tequila and a decent Tuesday night sip. It's not 100% de Agave, but for the same price as Cuervo Gold (or less in some instances) it's fantastic and a real reposado. #1 selling tequila in Mexico, I have on decent authority. I'm a believer. Did I mention that it's a Herradura product?

For the better stuff, I reach for Chinaco Anejo for woody moods. I recently bought Gran Centenario Anejo and was left somewhat disappointed. Not enough wood and conversely not enough agave flavor.

Any fantastic blanco/platino recommendations? I really want to try a white tequila that showcases the agave flavors.
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Advanced Taster

Jeff, I would suggest going here for some blanco recommendations. http://www.tequila.net/
    Steve

Connoisseur

Was on my out of the local liquor store when I noticed that the mini-bottles of Don Felipe Tesoro Tequila were on sale for a buck each. That's 15 bucks for a 750 bottle of 100% agave tequila! I had already paid so I told the girl I'd be back later. Drove a couple of miles and then u-turned. Just couldn't pass up a deal like that. Ended up with 3 for one: a bottle of silver, reposado, and anejo. And the 750 bottles were on the shelf at regular price. Go figure.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis