Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila

Re: Tequila

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Last night I had EL Tesoro Reposado at a friends place and it was a very fine sipping Tequila. Also tried his Milagro and 1800 Reposados which didn't really compare. Came home and finished up with some ORVW 10/107.
    I also purchased El Tesoro Reposado as well as the Silver. I've only had 2 other tequilas. The El Tesoro Reposado was far better than the previous ones I owned.

I also used the Silver in making a margarita. I used a recipe from Robert Hess. (Not sure if its ok to post his website). I've made other margaritas before. But his ratio and the silver tequila from El Tesoro made a ridiculously great margarita!

Connoisseur

I was recently at a wine tasting and one of the tables actually had spirits. The only bourbon was Knob Creek so I passed on it. They did offer El Tesoro's 70th anniversary 7 year extra aged anejo. Very light for a 7 year so I assume it was aged in used barrels. Very nice tasting, lots of vanilla and oak. Reminded me a lot of the DJ1942. Nice pour, but just not worth the price tag of $170. The regular El Tesoro anejo is my house pour for people wishing to explore and try a good tequila.

Connoisseur

Hello All,

Another 100 proof tequila is Don Fulano Blanco Fuerte. Available in 80 or 100 proof, hand blown bottle and 100% Agave. I have enclosed a picture of the bottle.

Another great tequila if you like the woody ones is Chinaco Negro Extra Anejo. The whole Chinaco line is a spicy style of Tequila compared to most others.

I also enjoy the El Tesoro line. I tend to prefer silvers/blancos because they tend to show their earthy notes more. NO WOOD influence. I always have DJ1942 in the house, along with Chinaco, El Tesoro, and the Espolon Reposado.

Dave

Connoisseur

I am definitely an anejo guy. I do like rposado or blanco in a nice homemade margarita, but not for sipping. I have tried them I just seem to prefer a more mellow and oaky tequila.

With that said, I have and half finished my bottle of Chinaco Emperador. I think its good, but a ridiculous price tag for its contents. I have a Chinaco Negro Extra anejo unopened. Ill get to it eventually. ET is one of my favorite lines with Paradiso being the star. I love that tequila although it seems the earlier bottlings are much better than the new wax dipped bottles. Had the Espolon anejo and enjoyed it. Good for the $$.

Connoisseur

To big of a rush. Here is the picture of Don Fulano.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

I was in a store today and noticed that the new shipments of El Jimador blanco/reposado are back to 100% agave. The new bottle shape is taller and slimmer. I still have an unopened liter bottle of their 100% agave blanco from years ago.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    I was in a store today and noticed that the new shipments of El Jimador blanco/reposado are back to 100% agave.
    That's really good news!!!

Connoisseur

I was in a store today and noticed that the new shipments of El Jimador blanco/reposado are back to 100% agave. The new bottle shape is taller and slimmer. I still have an unopened liter bottle of their 100% agave blanco from years ago.
    It could be good news. I am in the process of compiling a list of tequilas that were once great and where the latest production pales in comparison to the original juice.

gblick you can find that list on the tequila forum as I noticed you are a member of both forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    Very light for a 7 year so I assume it was aged in used barrels.
    Aren't all tequilas aged in used barrels? Hence the almost Scotch like character some of the extra anejos get. That's definitely the impression I've always had.

On the subject of 100 proofers, 1800 (Cuervo) has a new Silver that is 100 proof and it is pretty damn good! I really like the higher proof tequilas I think you get more flavor and hope to keep seeing more and more introduced. I'll have to look for this Don Fulano, good to see it is 100% agave, anything that isn't does not come home with me!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm surprised by this. The bottle I bought a couple of weeks ago is not 100% agave. It's also quite tasty. I'm not sure why they would do that. The bottle I have does identify it as a Casa Herradura product, distributed by Brown-Forman. If El Jimador is 100% agave, then why spend twice as much for Herradura?

By the way, the El Jimador Reposado has been going fast at Casa Cowdery, and I rarely reach for anything except bourbon.