Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michter's Rye

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Michter\'s Rye

I just returned from a shopping trip to Binny's. They had the Michter's 10-year-old rye on sale for $60. Puleeeeese!! They also had the standard rye at a more reasonable price, though I don't remember what. It's the same bottle. Does anyone know whose rye this is?

So what did I buy? The Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof (Heaven Hill), for $11.99.

Either way, it sure is nice to see so much straight rye on the shelf.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Michter\'s Rye

Chuck, I enjoyed your taste notes in the Book, and wonder if you would be minded to offer one here on the Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, i.e. in the style of the notes in the Book. Rittenhouse is a favorite of mine, and by the way, some years ago I had the Michter's 10 year old rye. The Rittenhouse trumps it no trouble IMO, so you bought well.

Gary

Connoisseur

I hear the 10 year is on its way here to NY. It's close to $50 wholesale here. I think it's a "tad bit" overpriced, too.

Guru

Wow, I remember when I got my first bottle of it and the 10 year bourbon I paid 39.99. They really jacked that one up! After tring the 10 year bourbon that I got on sale for around $26 and not liking it I don't know... Bob said he had the 10yo rye at whiskeyfest last year and really liked it alot, but seems like this new price just may keep me from knowing how good it may be.

Mark, I am wondering now if this 10 year old rye is the same as the one I was thinking of, from a few years ago sold in the heavy-bottomed decanter-styled bottle. That was a big whiskey with lots of flavors but I did not find it particularly balanced or special. The Rittenhouse is in my view more distinctive and interesting. However is this 10 year old rye LeNell and Chuck were referring to possibly a different whiskey? On the Michter's website the picture shown of the ten year old rye is the one I recall from some years ago. I suppose they might have kept the packaging but used a different whiskey for the contents, do you know?

Gary

Enthusiast

For that price, I'd go with Saz or Classic Cask. I don't think I'll fork over that much money for the Michter's. I'll have to try it again at WhiskyFest and then see if its worth it.

Guru

I don't know off hand Gary but I am guessing that it is a different whiskey just put into the same bottle as the previous 10 yers were. There wsa such a long period inbetween when it was last readily available and now that that is what makes me think it is a whole new batch.

I have to go with Bob on this one... For the new price I would w/o a doubt go with VWFRR, Sazerac and the amazingly good Classic Cask rye.

Thanks, Mark. I have never tried the Classic Cask - by all reports it is very good, so I will keep my eye out.

I'll keep an open mind about the current Michter's 10 year old rye: one thing for sure is, I'd buy it real fast if someone told me it was sourced from Heaven Hill's reserve stocks of extra-aged rye whiskey.

Guru

one thing for sure is, I'd buy it real fast if someone told me it was sourced from Heaven Hill's reserve stocks of extra-aged rye whiskey.
    Fer sure!

Connoisseur

Both the old 10 yr bourbon and 10 yr rye were Van Winkle bottlings. Where are the current selections bottled?