Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The questions

Connoisseur

The questions

After some discussion with the power to be, there have been some rules to this contest. The first and most important is that you only get one shot at answering the questions. The contest will last for one week and the person to find the right answers first will win the bottle. If nobody gets them all right, then the person with the most right answers will win. In case of a tie, then the person who posted first will win. Now, Let the game begin!

1) Who or what was "Miss Dixie"?

2) Brown-Forman did not build the Early Times Distillery in Shiveley. What was it before they bought it and what year did they buy it?

3) W.L. Weller and Bro. was founded in 1849. What was the name of the brother?

4)Who was I W Bernheim's brother-in-law?

5) There were three large brands of Tennessee whisky before prohibition with Cascade and Old No.7 being two of the brands - who was the third distiller and what was his brand?

6) Evan Williams was a distiller in Louisville in the late 18th and early 19th centuries - how many stills did he own and what were their capacity?

7)What year did Ancient Age first appear in the market?

8) Who was the brother in James Thompson and Bro.?

9) What was the "Old Blue House"?

10) "She was bred in old Kentucky" was a slogan for what whiskey?

Have fun. I will post the answers after we have a winner. You have until next Monday night to get your answers together.

Mike Veach

Re: The questions

Oh, alright, I'll serve as cannon fodder. There are three for which I can find nothing substantive, so I'll guess and let others find the correct answers. Apparently, the answers are in resources I don't have available.

1. Miss Dixie was the 1892 Kentucky Oaks winner, depicted on several early W.L. Weller whiskey labels (i.e., Kentucky Oaks Whiskey Blend).
    2. The Old Kentucky Distillery started producing for B-F in 1940, so I assume that's when it was purchased by B-F.
    3. Charles Weller
    4. Don't know this one. Bernheim's wife's maiden name was Uri. Harper (of I.W. Harper fame) was a horseman aquaintance. Palmer was a family friend/investor.
    5. Deep Springs. XXXX Kelly Co. (See bottle)
    6. I can only find a reference to the original one at 5th & something while he was a Louisville councilman. Let me guess 10 gallons.
    7. 1936, as a 'bourbon-style' whiskey. A true bourbon after WWII.
    8. Frank. (This is simply a guess, since Frank was a founder of Glenmore)
    9. a McKenna whiskey: "Henry Bosquet's Old Blue House" (see bottle)
    10. Green River Whiskey.

If anyone finds help here and wins, please remember that I'm one of the forum's Rebel Yell fans.

Enthusiast

For giving it a stab as the first attempt, I give you
    a big straightbourbon "Huzzah!". I especially liked your
    URL reference for Old Blue House (which I also turned up
    after a little googling).

I did stumble upon
    http://antiques-internet.com/colorad...page/IP106.htm
    for #10. (I guess by posting the url, I muddy the waters for future
    attempts to try at the prize, since interpretation of that object
    conflicts with your answer...)

Tim Dellinger

Connoisseur

Tim,
    By My count you have 6 completely right and two that you are on the right track with, but not quite there.
    Mike Veach

Enthusiast

Just to clarify, are we supposed to post our answers here? If so, is the presumption that we are on our honor not to get clues from previous answers posted here (seems reasonable - we all seem pretty trustworthy! )?

Or is the disadvantage to posting quickly the possibility that your answers might be used by future participants who only have to do minimal rearch to confirm?

Guru

Trustworty, you say? Since I don't know the answer to a single question, I briefly considered posting made-up answers to see how many free-riders I could attract.

However, now that the quizmaster has set the precedent of posting the score for each entrant, I'm glad I didn't expend the creativity such an endeavor would have required.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

Hmm...after actually reading the questions, the point is moot for me! I guess my question still stands for those who are still playing...if anyone challenges Tim!

I'll be a spectator on this one.

If so, is the presumption that we are on our honor not to get clues from previous answers posted here (seems reasonable - we all seem pretty trustworthy! )?
    I can be bribed. Of course, that's presuming I even know which six I got right.

Or is the disadvantage to posting quickly the possibility that your answers might be used by future participants who only have to do minimal rearch to confirm?
    Hence the 'cannon fodder' reference.

Connoisseur

I am hoping that other people will play. I would hate to see Tim win by default as the only one that answers the questions. These answers can all be found in refrence books, websites and other public sources so I expected the contestants to do a little research. The questions are not impossible.
    Mike Veach

Enthusiast

Okay, Mike, I'll succumb to peer pressure. Heck, if it weren't for peer pressure, I may never have tasted bourbon!

1) Who or what was "Miss Dixie"?
    Although I can't say my research confirmed it, it turned up a lot of similar horse references. I'll go with Tim's answer. To quote: " Miss Dixie was the 1892 Kentucky Oaks winner, depicted on several early W.L. Weller whiskey labels (i.e., Kentucky Oaks Whiskey Blend)."

2) Brown-Forman did not build the Early Times Distillery in Shiveley. What was it before they bought it and what year did they buy it?
    I'm going to dispute Tim and say 1923. The way the question is phrased, this must be incorrect, but I thought it was the Early Times Distillery and that it was bought by B-F which had a license to produce medicinal whiskey at the time. By the way, is it Shiveley or Shively?

3) W.L. Weller and Bro. was founded in 1849. What was the name of the brother?
    Charles.

4)Who was I W Bernheim's brother-in-law?
    My research turned up the same info as Tim, but no definitive answer. How about "the guy who married his sister?"

5) There were three large brands of Tennessee whisky before prohibition with Cascade and Old No.7 being two of the brands - who was the third distiller and what was his brand?
    I'm going to randomly diverge from Tim and guess White Oak Tennessee Whiskey made by ER Betterton.

6) Evan Williams was a distiller in Louisville in the late 18th and early 19th centuries - how many stills did he own and what were their capacity?
    I'm pretty sure there was only one known distillery, but I don't know how many stills were in it. I saw one reference to "stills" plural in the context of "distillery" singular. Anything beyond this is just a wild guess. How about ten stills at 10 gallons each?

7)What year did Ancient Age first appear in the market?
    I found that the distillery opened in 1933, but Tim sounds pretty confident that the brand didn't show up until 1936, which makes sense. I'll say 1936.

8) Who was the brother in James Thompson and Bro.?
    I'll say that the "brother" was Frank, but that Frank was not his real brother. I'll say Frank was actually his son.

9) What was the "Old Blue House"?
    I felt like I was onto something that I couldn't quite get. I found the following: "In East Paris on the road going towards Millersburg and Maysville was an old frame building called the "Blue House" used by Mr. Ellerbeck as a brewery in 1805, says McCann in his recollections of Paris of that date. (Keller & McCann's "Sketches of Paris," 1876.)" I'll therefore say it was an early 19th century brewery...that later became a distillery???

10) "She was bred in old Kentucky" was a slogan for what whiskey?
    Based on my research, I think Tim nailed this one. Green River Whiskey.

Thanks for the fodder, Tim! And thanks for the "pressure," Mike. As I'm sure you would agree, there was more fun in the looking than in the finding, which was probably your point!