Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey

I invite taste comments on this whiskey, I know Dave and Tine bought some, and Chuck. It is a flavor most original and hard to describe, a massive grainy taste (this from memory), I'd be interested in impressions of the current bottling.

Gary

Guru

Re: Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey

I haven't tasted this brand recently, eight years or more ago if memory serves, and I would like to revisit it soon.

Squire

This is on my current list of must-gets as I pass through KY next month en route to family Christmas in Michigan. I can't seem to find even an old bottle in Middle Tennessee. I have to muddle through with VWFRR and Saz (poor, poor pitiful me!).
    Am looking forward to trying it. Oddly, while I don't really care for the rye-heaviest bourbons, I enjoy straight ryes very much.

Administrator in exile

You know, I don't remember ever seeing it on the shelves in Lexington, though I haven't looked very hard either. Anyone know where I can grab a bottle?

Enthusiast

...I'd be interested in impressions of the current bottling.
    Is Rittenhouse different than it used to be? I noticed that they changed labels; did they change their flavor profile? I have a bottle with the old label, and a bottle of the newer BIB. I'll have to side-by-side the old version with the BIB (appropriately diluted).

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

What I would like to try is the especially-long aged (circa 10 years) Rittenhouse supplied to La Maison du Whisky in Paris by Heaven Hill.

I really think it is time, should there be enough stock to spare, to make some 6-10 year old rye available in the U.S.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

What I would like to try is the especially-long aged (circa 10 years) Rittenhouse supplied to La Maison du Whisky in Paris by Heaven Hill.

Greg and Jo Kitzmiller and me, Amelia and BettyeJo had a sip about a year ago at Heaven Hill with Larry Kass,( Thanks!) It is a superb rye, the 10 years does it well. A wonderful experience.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I really think it is time, should there be enough stock to spare, to make some 6-10 year old rye available in the U.S.

Gary

I stood in the store last month and looked at a bottle of this (I think ).....but had no idea what it was.
    I even ended up leaving Paris without buying any whiskey

Guru

The last bottle of Rittenhouse I sampled was purchased in Birmingham at least eight years ago. It was on the shelf next to some stuff we were buying so I picked up a bottle. 100 proof and with no age statement so I presumed it was 4 yrs old. In a lot of travels haven't seen it since. Would really like to try another 100 proof bottle in an older expression.

Regards,
    Squire

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Rittenhouse is probably the best old time luxury hotel in Philadelphia. I don't exactly know the connection, but I'm sure there is one between it and the rye whiskey, which originally was made in eastern Pennsylvania. Now it's made by Heaven Hill.

I love the BIB. I have a bottle of the standard version but haven't opened it. I went to Sam's the other day and bought four bottles of the BIB, one for me, two to leave at my dad's and one to take to my cousin's tomorrow. It's a damn fine, rich, flavorful whiskey for $12. A little hot, but sweet and peppery. I think it's great.