Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Best of the WT line???

Hey All,

The folks are heading over to the sunny shores of the US soon and as a diligent little bourbonophile, I am trying to get a bunch of bottlings brought back. Since there's only the WT86, WT101 and RB available in australia, i was curious as to what was the general view of the best turkey bottling. Price is a factor (i'm getting a few), so I'd only request the Kentucky Spirit if it was clearly the best of the bunch.

what's everyone reckon?

Enthusiast

Re: Best of the WT line???

JM says Russell Reserve, though a lot of people favour the 12YO (difficult to get in US though).

Cheers,

B.

Enthusiast

Warning - strong bias ahead - but I think if you have an interest in WT specifically, at least ONE bottle of Kentucky Spirit should make its way back with you. Certainly let others weigh in on this, though!

Having said that, RR is a good buy. In my opinion, better than standard 101, but not better than Rare Breed. Still, it's hard to put a price on "unique," and obviously RR is unique in Australia.

Others would be better able to guide you on duty free purchases to consider. I am not a jet setter!

Connoisseur

Hi Pete,

In my view, you can´t really go wrong with any of the WT premium range. While I personally prefer RR I would still recommend Kentucky spirit, mainly because it is so different to other WT:s (the Kentucky legend, excepted). It has a sort of, er, unripe oranges character which you normally doesn´t encounter from this distillery.

As for availability you beat Sweden, 3-2. We only get Rare breed and (amazingly!) the rye. We´ve had WT80 and the 8 year old but they have recently been withdrawn.

Regarding the 12 yo : according to WT:s own homepage it is available in Japan, Canada and Duty free. Another great WT product, if you can get hold of it.

Cheers,

Guru

What he said.

Tim

Advanced Taster

Tim , I know that you've always been a big acolyte of the WT bottlings, part a lot of posts dedicated to the Rare Breed. Which WT would you reckon captures the essence of the Turkey taste, or is it not that simple?

I'm also looking at getting:
    Buffalo Trace,
    Ezra B 15yo,
    Henry McKenna SB, and
    W.L Weller.

basically these are bottlings that are unavailable in Oz. Would I be correct in assuming that each of these has their own personality and flavour?

Guru

It sounds like you have read my posts (or, at least several of them), so I risk repeating myself.

Except for a few very special bottlings (e.g., Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Rock Hill Farms), Wild Turkey basically captures the overall bourbon experience, for me. In other words, if you could make a definition of "the taste of bourbon", WT 101 would pretty much be it.

Then, Rare Breed (which you can get without traveling) is the same, but more so. Deeper flavor, richer flavor and aromas.

Then, to me, Russell's Reserve and Kentucky Spirit present a more refined and sophisticated taste and aroma. Sort of like the best cognacs. I enjoy both very much but, again just in my opinion, they are slightly less bourbon-like. Be advised that I try to keep both on hand at all times.

I have never had the pleasure of trying the 12-year old, but in my imagination it would be similar to 101 and RB, but better yet.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Enthusiast

The EB15 is one of the few bourbons I have tried that I do not like. I keep going back and retrying the bottle, but it still comes back as my least favorite premium pour. There are a bunch of Wellers and the 107 seems to rub some the wrong way, but the 19 and 12 yo's are highly regarded here. On your way back to OZ, check out duty free and see if they have WT Freedom, it is an awfully nice bourbon, very close to RB but not quite as sweet to my palate. Happy hunting.

Guru

I'll just rate their 101, Russell's Reserve, Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit and 12 year in order of my preference by taste, not price.

12 Year
    Rare Breed
    Russell's Reserve
    Kentucky Spirit

So now factoring in price, I would go with a bottle of Rare Breed and then Russel's Reserve if it is not available there. Even if you found the 12 year it would probably be around $40 to $50. KY Spirit is around $40 (and I would go with the 12 year then) and the 101 is good for the price but not when you have RR just a few bucks higher.

Administrator in exile

Well, you have certainly picked the single best bourbon family to choose from, IMHO. Here is how I would rank the "available" line in order of my preference:

1. Kentucky Spirit
    2. Rare Breed
    3. 101 Proof
    4. Russell's Reserve
    5. 80 Proof

Hope that helps