Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Best of the WT line???

I have never had the pleasure of trying the 12-year old, but in my imagination it would be similar to 101 and RB, but better yet.

Tim,

In simplistic terms, all I'm capable of, I fear, think of combining the robust flavor of 101 with the smoothness and subtlety of KS, and that's the 12 y/o.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

I have to go with Kentucky Spirit as well. It shares a lot with others in the Wild Turkey line, but it's more refined and distinct...definitely more cognac like and smoother. In fact, I think I need to have a pour right now!

Connoisseur

In simplistic terms, all I'm capable of, I fear, think of combining the robust flavor of 101 with the smoothness and subtlety of KS, and that's the 12 y/o.

I think that captures the essence of the 12yo very well. Not unlike the RR, it starts out very chewy and leathery and then, like a commando soldier suddenly turning pacifist, it switches to a, sort of, cherry candy cotton character, a theme which is continued in the finish.

Enthusiast

FYI - BERNCOW just bumped a thread about WT under the tasting forum that you might want to check out (if you haven't already)!

Connoisseur

On the SB.com Wild Turkey tour on Thursday I asked Jimmy Russell what *his* favorite was, and he answered "Wild Turkey". My next question was: "all of them?" and without missing a step he fired back: "what time is it?"

Connoisseur

What a character! I loved meeting this dear soul.

I got a chance to taste the 12yo for the first time while gazeboing Fri night. Wow! If you ever get the chance to grab a bottle, go for it.

Advanced Taster

I was at the DFW airport Friday and stopped in at the duty free exchange to see if they had the WT Freedom and 12 YO 101. They had both, but for $40 each. Given my tastes and my experience with WT RR and KS, I couldn't bring myself to pick one up. I am not a collector, and to me the WT line doesn't get any batter than RB, and for the money, WT 101 is king.

YMMV.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I would have glady paid you a the $40 plus a handling fee to bring back to WA state that bottle of WT Freedom!!!

And the WT 12yo is, to me, one of the all-time greats. The few bottles left on shelves around here run $50-$60. I'd turn cartwheels (assuming that was still physically possible ) at finding one for $40.

Advanced Taster

Well, I should clarify that it was $40 IF you had an international airline ticket. I didn't enquire about what it would cost me with my domestic airline ticket. Probably alot more.