Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Old Fitzgerald BIB

I haven't had a bad bottle yet, but don't think I've had any post-Stitzel bottlings. I'll let you know when I do.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: Old Fitzgerald BIB -- Cracker Jack!!

Bump. After reading more than a few postings describing Stagg, curiously, as "sweet," I cracked the seal on a new bottle of Old Fitz BIB. Holy smokes!! Open the windows!! Now THIS is what a sweet bourbon tastes like boys and girls. This bottle of OF BIB is pure CRACKER JACK: popcorn, caramel, and peanuts. Wow! This ain't like ANYTHING I've tasted in a dozen months of Sundays. I'm sure if I have another dram my cracker jack bourbon prize will appear!

Just to test myself, I dove deep into the bunker to find the David Nicholson 1843, 7yo BIB, which others have described as OF BIB, just older. Well, dang if these two don't taste a world apart, even if they started from the same mashbill: The DN 1843 is caramel, indeed, but it ain't got no peanuts. The OF BIB is caramel, yes, but it's got peanuts, too, and we're talkin' lotsa peanuts!!

You gotta check this out. Try a recent OF BIB and tell us if you don't taste CRACKER JACK before you set that glass down. I'm going further, though: This Cracker Jack of a bottle is heading to the gazebo in September. Whoa, Nellie!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm going further, though: This Cracker Jack of a bottle is heading to the gazebo in September. Whoa, Nellie

[/QUOTE]

Here we go! Now we're getting something to look forward to!!!!
    BTW I know where there is a O Fitz BIB from Dsp 1 and Dsp16 . The Old stuff. It's a lot higher than a bottle from DSP31 but I think I will get it. I have 1 more of the Ky Gentleman BIB to get 1.75. I tell you what there isn't many dusty bottles left anywhere.

Bobby, the OF BIB "cracker jack" I wrote about is from DSP-KY-1, while the tamer, though older, DN 1843 is from DSP-KY-16. What can you tell us about the differences?

Cliff does that OF BIB say DSP 1 only or does it say Distilled AT DSP1 and Bottled At DSP16?
    DSP16 was Stitzel Weller at Shively. DSP 1 was at 17th and Breckinridge, AKA Bernhiem , United, And now is Heaven Hill. I also went to the Bunker and found a OFBIB that says Distilled at dsp16 bottled at dsp24 I guess at the end of the day DSP 16 is what we are looking for.

You're a sharp one, there Bobby; a fine print kinda guy, I see!

Cracker Jack is a recently acquired bottle that reads: distilled by DSP-KY-1; bottled at DSP-KY-31.

What does this all mean, o' wise one?

All it means is the whiskey was produced by United and Bottled by Heaven Hill , We will see more of this as it goes along, Heaven Hill owns the Old Fitz Label, It would seem more like it is entrusted to their care and they no doubt, will leave it's intrigrity intact. There's something about the Stitzel Weller Distillery , a romance or nostalgia that evokes in some , a light in their eyes at the mention of it followed by a sigh or hanging of the head. It truly was once a great enterprise and got a short shift from Diageo.

Tonight the StraightBourbon.com forum members discovered that there are more variants of OF BIB than any of them, individually, could ever have imagined. Fortunately, for this poster and his gazebo buddies, the Cracker Jack bottle is safely bunkered away. (I promise to leave at least half the peanuts in the bottle!)

Guru

B.P.,

The distillery codes on Cracker Jack match the codes on a bottle that I went eight rounds with a few months back. (I lost on a split decision.) Of course, my memory isn't good enough to recall such an obscure fact, but fortunately for me I recorded that info in a post.

Ever since then I've had it in the back of my mind that if Chuck likes it (and he does), then I need to give it another chance someday. The last time I tried to buy another bottle, my hand refused to follow orders, and I grabbed a bottle of OF 1849, instead. (I've found that I like it just fine, for the price -- the same as the BIB at Hi Time -- when they actually have it in stock.)

Your report has caused me to renew my intention to pick up another bottle of the BIB the next time I make a liquor run to Costa Mesa.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

DSP KY #31 is Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc....

DSP KY #1 is our (Heaven Hill) Bernheim facility...(Distillery)...

Heaven Hill bought the distillery from United Distiller's...we bought the label (Old Fitz.) at the same time...

This is Bond...federal law requires that the DSP# on the label and the product in the bottle is distilled by that DSP #...

The julian date on the---side--- of the bottle will tell the exact date it was bottled...Most of the time it's there...

Bettye Jo