Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Old Fitzgerald BIB

Last night I was sipping some Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond neat and wondering how to describe it. Just now it struck me: "...and visions of sugarplums danced in my head," or rather, on my tongue. The most remarkable characteristic of this bourbon is its marvelous, almost liqueur-like sweetness. People often ask me what is my favorite bourbon. I usually aver, because I have many "favorites," but if given the desert island choice I would have to say Old Fitz BIB.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Old Fitzgerald BIB

Chuck,

If Old Fitzgerald BIB is a favorite of yours, order some David Nicholson from Randall's right away, while they still have some. It's really 7-year-old Old Fitzgerald 100 proof (even says so on the label) and it's wonderful stuff. It has the regular Old Fitz BIB flavor in spades. I asked Julian about it and he said that the bourbon was made at Stitzel-Weller and could easily be even older than the stated seven years. He also said, "...The label was owned by my family until last year when we sold it to David Shermann in St. Louis. It for years was THE premium Bourbon in St, Louis... It is sold only in Missouri and southern Illinois."

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

Don't have anything to add here other than a big ditto. I've only had one bottle of this but can't think of any other whiskey I enjoyed more besides Wild Turkey Rye. I don't have access to it in Texas but I plan on buying in bulk when I go home to Illinois for the holidays...could it be that the best whiskey comes in a green bottle?

**DONOTDELETE**

Chuck what is the difference between the Weller recipe and that of Old Fitz?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

"what is the difference between the Weller recipe and that of Old Fitz?"

Not a thing. Same recipe.

--Chuck Cowdery

Thanks for the tip, John.

--Chuck Cowdery

The Boss

John,

How does one go about contacting Randall's?

Regards,

Jim Butler
    StraightBourbon.com

Enthusiast

>How does one go about contacting Randall's?

It would seem that they have re-named themselves!

I have two links that will get you there:

http://randalls.site.yahoo.net/randalls/spirits.html
    and
    http://www.internetwines.com/

Some of their prices are wonderfully low, while others are annoyingly high.
    It pays to shop around!
    We should probably put together a canonical listing of bourbon vending websites, although it would be a little work keeping it updated, but in my mind worth the trouble.

**DONOTDELETE**

Jim,

In addition to Tim's URLs, there is also <u>http://www.spiritsofstlouis.com/spirits.html</u>, which I think is still the same place. At least they list "randall@apci.net" as their email address. It also maintains the same, shall we say, light-hearted approach to classifying American whiskies.

On Randall's, look for 1843 Bond under BONDED (their whiskey categories are BONDED, BOURBON, and SINGLE BARREL, with no particular distinction as to what might be found in any of them -- including blends, corn, and sometimes even wine). According to the current listings, the price is $13.46 for the 750ml bottle (plus shipping).

On Spirits of St. Louis, you will find the same bottle listed as David Nicholson 1843 Bourbon 7yr, also under BONDED, but this time it says it costs $16.37 and the stock number is different. So now I don't know if they're the same company or not. Whatever, they must at least share the same catalog organization staff. As an example of what I mean, note that the BONDED category is illustrated with a photo of the Old Fitz bottle... Real nice, except that Old Fitzgerald 100 proof BIB isn't listed under that category; instead, you'll find it with the "O"'s under "BOURBON: A-E" (???). Finding the whiskey you want is a fun challenge, sort of like reading the translated instructions on technical products made in a country that speaks a language different from your own.

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guru

Chuck,

What is your opinion of todays Old Fitz BIB (#1 & #37)?

I blasted it in a post a few days ago, in the long-ago thread started by vasshopper, but that was only fair after what it did to me.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker