Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Old Fitzgerald BIB

You know, Old Fitz BIB has probably suprised me more than any other bourbon. I don't know why, but my impressions prior to tasting were that this was a solid bottom shelf brand. Dave's comments didn't help matters After trying it I must say that this is a great bourbon. I love the vanilla sweet aftertaste that lingers around for a long time. I think that the marketing people for OF BIB do it a disservice. A little bit of flashyness in the packaging and people would flock to it. And unfortunately the price would rise as well. I take that back, OF BIB is best kept as our little secret

Novice

I'd like to try some of the Old Fitz BIB, but I want to be sure I'm getting the right bottling. I live in Southern New Jersey, so the local selection is VERY limited. I looked at the Straight Bourbon list of bottlings (from main page click on "Brands", then "Bottlings") and I see three with the Old Fitz name:

Old Fitzgerald 1849 , Heaven Hill , 8 years old, 90
    Old Fitzgerald Prime Bourbon , Heaven Hill , 80
    Old Fitzgerald Prime Bourbon , Heaven Hill , 86

Is one of these the BIB you keep refering to or is there another I should be hunting for? Any online sales?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

BIB is 100 proof. If you can look at the older established liquor stores for things that have been there a while, If you see DSP16 on the label, you found the Motherlode! Good luck. There is still some around , The search is on!

Taster

look for the green label. It will say 100 proof and Bottled in Bond. It goes for around 15.00 a fifth.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

All of the Old Fitz expressions are very good (although the BIB is my favorite). They're all good values too. It has long been my belief that Old Fitz is one of the secret treasures of bourbon country.

Hooked that DSP16 1.75 of OF BIB. Then I thought I found the motherlode of JW Dant. Distilled at DSP113 and Bottled at DSP 16 , they were 4 deep 750ml and Liter's but upon closer inspection only the front facings of each were Dsp113 and Dsp16, the others are Dsp 31 but they are still rather old . Is it any good ? Don't know yet , but I can Hope!

Guru

Let me know if the JW Dant is good. Please tell me separately for each DSP.

Thanks, Tim

Well it would seem that I have found quite a relic here. According to Sam Cecil Dsp 113 now is the Buffalo Trace distillery, there's a lot to about the machinations of Schenley buying the Dant distillery , JW Dant at the time ( early 50s) was a hot item. Schenley had overproduced at BT in anticipation of a mandatory shortdown because of the Korean Conflict, as was the case in WWII but did not occur. How Stitzel Weller got the bottling of this is unknown to me. I like the HH version of JW Dant , It is an in your face Bourbon and a little rough here and there. I haven't pulled the plug yet on DSP 113/16 . It may turn out very good indeed.

I have a small amount ( DSP113/DSP16) and am getting aquainted with it. It has a definate Alcohol burn . Not unpleasant , I will say this isn't as good as Stagg, It's not better than OFBB. I wish some of the Straight Bourbonians could take a touch of this one. They may not have gone to great pains to make this Bourbon , probably just a production run. It isn't bad, actually very good. Tim , I'll save you a sip!

Advanced Taster

Hey Bobby when was the old fitz 1.75 bottled. hope it is and old one and does it have dsp-16 only on the bottle or 16 and 24. enjoy !! life is good--den

Sorry, I'm confused a little. Have located some Old Fitz BB that was made by 16 and bottled by another ..now is this good or does the bottler matter..and if so why?