Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table bourbon

**DONOTDELETE**

Table bourbon

What bourbon do you drink "for every day?" Assuming you do, of course, because there are inevitably those who say "I drink Booker's straight up when I want a bourbon." That's nice, but a lot of us get thirsty and want a bourbon rocks, or an Old Fashioned, or a Manhattan, or even now and then a bourbon and coke. When it's that time, what bourbon do you reach for?

I'm lucky enough to have some AAA 10 YO that I got in KY for about $12.50, a steal and I wish I would have bought more. I also have a bottle of 4 Roses bourbon I got as a sample, and I'm rationing it till the day it becomes available in the U.S. again. Kentucky Tavern is good drinkin' whiskey for the money.

Any others?

Lew Bryson
    Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Novice

Re: Table bourbon

Lew Bryson was asking about "every day" bourbons. Generally, my "everyday" bourbon is whatever is in the cupboard.
    In a bizarre turn of events, I actually have three bourbons on hand, but two of the bottles are almost empty. Any one of them could qualify as "every day" because they aren't very expensive. I guess the truth is that I've found so many good bourbons at or below $20/fifth that I can't fix on just one.
    So, there's some Wild Turkey (the big one, 101?), a bottle of Elijah Craig, and a new bottle of Ancient Age Barrel 107. I like 'em all.
    Curiously, Oregon doesn't seem to have Jim Beam in the black label, which I was looking to buy yesterday. Got all that other Beam stuff -- all the high-end bourbons -- and the basic kitchen version, but the Reagans' had raved up the black label and I wanted to give it a snort. Hmmph.
    --Jeff Frane

Novice

I'm with Jeff on the cupboard thing, but the local Long's Drugs frequently has Evan Williams on sale for $9.99 in a 1.75 liter bottle, which is a hell of a deal. I use it when making mixed drinks or barbecue sauce (no, no, no, I put it in the SAUCE!). I prefer better stuff for everyday drinking, and always keep Maker's Mark and Wild Turkey 80 on hand. The Wild Turkey 101 is wonderful, but tends to end the party a bit too fast for my tastes.

Regards,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com Staff

**DONOTDELETE**

I do use Evan Williams in cooking a lot (that price is irresistable, and I like it a bit better than Beam white label), but every now and then I get a wild hair up and throw something really good in the pan, like a splash of Woodford Reserve. Hey, if it's really good food it deserves really good bourbon!

Otherwise, yeah, Maker's and Turkey are good everydays, though I'll just go ahead and drink the 101: I'm a big guy.

Lew Bryson

**DONOTDELETE**

What's with the rationing of four roses? I live in Milwaukee, and I drink the stuff all the time. Can someone not get it in the US? I understand that
    it was export only at one time, but as of about 6 months ago, my bar has been carrying it, and I have been drinking it ever since.

-Bill

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I tend to rotate that choice around, depending on what's on sale, but consistently come back to Old Fitzgerald. It's about the only bourbon I ever buy in the 1.75 L size.

- chuck

**DONOTDELETE**

I've been rationing the Four Roses because it wasn't available around here, I guess it's time to start looking for it again. I haven't really looked for about four or five months. Thanks for the tip!

Lew Bryson

**DONOTDELETE**

I was screwing around in here and found this thread.

You know what's a good inexpensive bourbon? Rebel Yell. I had doubts myself -- maybe because Keith Richards has been known to down a few bottles -- but it's very full-tasting stuff. And generally very cheap.

Doug

**DONOTDELETE**

Lew,

Good subject for discussion. My current favorite is the Evan Williams Single barrel. I have found a little 'lost in the woods of Arkansas' liquor store that had 5 bottles of the 1987 vintage for under $19. This is a smooth and full flavored bourbon, no headache. I tried the Evan Williams 1783 and did not like it at all, too harsh. I heard about the singel barrel from this site, so I am a convert. I keep coming back even though I have many $ 30+ on the shelf. I also like the Wild Turkey's, the 80 proof for everyday. I have heard that Wild Turkey is reducing the age of their whiskies in order to supply an increased demand, is this true ?

For the ultimate in cheap, I tried Ten High after seeing it mentioned by a Marine in the bourbon survey. This is not bad bourbon. No complexity of taste, but smooth and no headache. W. L. Weller and Charter 12 YO are both nice. I used to drink a lot of George Dickle #8 or #12, smooth, drinkable, and mellow (do not bother with the Special Reserve), but now I find the regulair bourbons more interesting.

By AAA do you mean Ancient Age ? I would like to try some Ancient Age, my store only has the yellow label that does not reveal age. Which Ancient Ages does this group recommend ?

Mark A. Mason, El Dorado, Arkansas

**DONOTDELETE**

Ancient Age/Buffalo Trace (wasTable bourbon)

Mark,

AAA= Ancient Ancient Age. I believe this is only available in KY. Lew's just showing off (as usual). I also enjoy the Ancient Age Barrel 107. Here's a question for the group. Will all the AA products be renamed Buffalo Trace or will there be a rationalization of these "fringe" products?

Cheers,
    Bushido