Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Here's the bourbons in a mess on the floor....

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster
    Jesus H christos. You mofos are nuts (and I'm jealous).

Enthusiast
    You summed it up perfectly for me Mike. My girlfriend saw me looking at all these collections and warned me in no uncertain terms with the phrase "Don't even think about it!"

What followed was a very interesting conversation to say the least. I tried using some of the replies that I've seen here such as "I don't complain about all her clothes and makeup and whatever else". Then she pointed out how I actually do complain about all those things. It was actually pretty commical.

Time to abandon that strategy and come up with something a little more creative.

I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of "Having and enjoying all these fine spirits makes living with you all the more bearable. Or should I substitute enjoyable for bearable. Let me know what you think.

Chris

Connoisseur
    Chris-

There is a reason to hide your bourbon around the house in a bunch of different places. If you take a lot of something and spread it out, it makes it look like there is actually not as much of it....

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by melting
    You summed it up perfectly for me Mike. My girlfriend saw me looking at all these collections and warned me in no uncertain terms with the phrase "Don't even think about it!"

What followed was a very interesting conversation to say the least. I tried using some of the replies that I've seen here such as "I don't complain about all her clothes and makeup and whatever else". Then she pointed out how I actually do complain about all those things. It was actually pretty commical.

Time to abandon that strategy and come up with something a little more creative.

I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of "Having and enjoying all these fine spirits makes living with you all the more bearable. Or should I substitute enjoyable for bearable. Let me know what you think.

Chris
    Chris...Where you're going wrong is you are basically looking for "permission" (cough cough cough)

Connoisseur
    Just show her that bottle of Hirsch going for 500+ bucks on Amazon and tell her that investing in the future of your children, born or unborn, is very important to you and if she doesn't share that feeling then maybe the relationship isn't as serious for her as it is for you. Then sniff a little and choke back a few tears. Then just make sure you have a sufficient supply of "investin'" whiskey backing up your "drinkin'" whiskey.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Connoisseur
    well this isn't my stash, but this is my most prized bottle in my collection so far. A VVOF 15 year old. I've only seen mention of one other bottle of VVOF 15 on this site, and it was bottled the same year as this, 1967. I'm wondering if the VVOF 15 was a single year product as the regular VVOF was usually a 12 year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Apprentice
    I let my family/friends know that bourbon is the only gift I want for Birthday/Christmas. I sure feel like a kid again, opening those gifts.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by brian12069
    Chris...Where you're going wrong is you are basically looking for "permission" (cough cough cough)
    YOU SHOWED HER THESE PICTURES?!? ARE YOU NUTS!?!

Okay damage done. Time for damage control. You've probably already messed up more and mentioned how much you'd like to have a stash like these. Wrong, what you should have done is said that these guys are insane (we are) and that you would never let it get that far out of control.

Then you slowly increase you collection a bottle here 2 there, explaining the significance of each, why you have to have it (side note-why do guys have to expalin their hobbies when women can go out and buy more clothes/shoes/purses/etc. then they can ever use, without saying a word). Then one day when there are bottles shoved here and there, you mention that you would like to have a nice cabinet to display some of you collection-ask her if she would like to help you pick one out so that it looks good in your home. Make sure to get one thats too big for you current collection. See where this is going? You now have a place to hide you purchases in plain sight (just like her closet full of clothes/shoes/purses/etc.).

Of course this is all coming from an unmarried, totally single (and loving every moment of it) guy. I have a completely different problem...introducing women to my collection (it's working its way to about 200 bottles).
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur
    Man alive cool bottle NorCal! What a find!
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004