Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Best bourbon for someone who likes Irish Whiskey?

What about Four Roses, then? Iīm always unsure about what bottlings are available in the US, though.
    The 80 proof Yellow Label would be an excellent choice, as it's pretty mild. (Too mild for my tastes). I've only been able to find it in Kentucky though. Another possibility would be Basil Hayden (which people on SB.com have nicknamed "brown vodka").

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Gary, if we view the question in this light I would recommend Jim Beam Black Label.

But your comments about Powers (and this applies to Jameson to a degree) are suggestive to me of a link to a certain type of straight whiskey. The menthol hit of Irish pot still is evident strongly in Powers and to a degree in Jameson's regular label (not to mention the 12 year old and other older extensions). This finds an analogue, to my mind, in those straight whiskeys that offer a menthol flavour. Heaven Hill's do, e.g., as Bamber noted for EWSB '94. So does Bulleit and Four Roses Single Barrel. Bulleit in particular would please, I think, someone who likes the tang of Irish pot still. What accounts for that minty/menthol taste in both whiskies? I think it is the rye in the bourbons and the unmalted barley in the Irish pot still. I cannot recall now where I read this, but a distiller wrote that unmalted barley provides flavours similar to that of rye whiskey. This is, I think, that wintergreen taste Chuck noted in his book in older whiskies (reflecting a higher rye mashbill than is generally used today) - this provides a link in my view to Ireland (whence after all many 1700's-era American distillers came). Hirsch 16 year old (i.e., 1974 Michter's whose origins stretch to Revolutionary times) has a hint of that menthol too.

Gary

Connoisseur

I'd say the Four Roses, too, but that's just not practical cuz you can't find it up here. I've started some customers off with Corner Creek and that transition seems to work for many folks. Very Old Barton is also quite easy going, if you can find it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I have found three bourbons that make a good transition from scotch and probably would work with irish as well. They are Blanton's, Basil Hayden's and Corner Creek. Since Blanton's and Basil Hayden's are a bit pricey, I second LeNell's recommendation of Corner Creek. Something else to consider is George Dickel No. 12.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree but at the same time would add my assent to those who find Power's (speaking just of that example of Irish whiskey for a moment) a rich, well-flavored drink, not quite a dry one either. It is said to be about 80% pot still (the rest grain whiskey) and it shows. It is a fine value, too (approx. $17.00 U.S., a bargain). Basil Hayden is similar in its balance of oak, sweetness (there is some) and minty tang. Yeah, the "Buzz" is probably the closest in palate, the more I think of it. It is probably the driest of the bourbons made today but I think at one time there were many more examples of dryish bourbons than we now see.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I second LeNell's recommendation of Corner Creek.
    I have to disagree on the Corner Creek. To each their own, but this tasted like cut grass (or weeds) to me. Maybe that is what Irish whiskey is supposed to taste like.

Guru

Afternoon wrbriggs,

Powers is a house favorite and one of the few whiskies I buy by the case. Don't drink much of it myself, rather use it as an entertainment pour for my Scotch drinking guests. I have inadverently created a small market for Powers in our area as the local stores are now stocking the brand due to a demand I apparently created. In an effort to further guide my friends away from single-malt-mindset I have also been introducing Bourbon but with less success.

My friends who like Powers also will drink Buffalo Trace while politely decling my other Bourbon offerings. Don't know if there is any tasting/sensory connection between the two brands but that has been my experience.

Others I buy by the case are 100 proof Barton, 100 proof Forester and Elijah Craig.

Regards,
    Squire

Advanced Taster

Found this at Malt Advocate: http://www.whiskeypages.com/malt/html/ir_do.html
    Very nice writing indeed. After reading the posts in this thread, I'm inclined to go with Blanton's. It is amazingly smooth and that is what Irish whiskey does in spades. As OCO says, if someone doesn't like Blanton's, they just don't like bourbon.

Connoisseur

this tasted like cut grass (or weeds) to me. Maybe that is what Irish whiskey is supposed to taste like.
    Cut grass feels more like Scotch to me but weeds maybe? The Irish pot still character, as experienced by me has a rather earthy and herbal-like character, even mushroomey (is this the correct spelling?). I donīt know, maybe Gillman was on the right track in that we should serve him a rye instead? WT, anyone?

Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Blanton's is special order only in VT, but I was at a local liquor store this past weekend and found a bottle of Blanton's in with the scotch... and they had it priced $10 lower than the "official" special order price. Needless to say, I picked it up... haven't tried it yet, as I've been enjoying a bottle of EWSB '94 (just arrived in VT, only one of our state liquor stores is carrying it).

I already own a bottle of Basil Hayden's that I'm not too fond of, but next time my buddy is over I'll give him a pour of BH and a pour of Blanton's... I'll report the results back! Unfortunately most of the other recommended brands are not available here (Corner Creek, Buffalo Trace, etc.).

Thanks again!

-Will