Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gin isn't aged?

Enthusiast

Re: Gin isn\'t aged?

On a related note (and while trying to look up whether gin by definition is not aged), I came across this little gem (emphasis is mine):

gin

\Gin\, n. [Contr. from Geneva. See 2d Geneva.] A strong alcoholic liquor, distilled from rye and barley, and flavored with juniper berries; -- also called Hollands and Holland gin, because originally, and still very extensively, manufactured in Holland. Common gin is usually <font color="red">flavored with turpentine.</font>

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
    How can that be true?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's just what the defintions of those beverages are. Vodka and gin, by definition, are not aged. Rum and tequila are sold both aged and unaged, presumably cachaca too, though I can't say I've ever had aged cachaca. Gin is really just a type of flavored vodka (flavored with juniper berry), as is akavit (flavored with carraway seeds).

The difference between the gin/vodka/akavit group and the rum/tequila group is proof of distillation. The gin/vodka/akavit group is based on a neutral spirit, distilled out at >190 proof, while tequila and rum, like brandy and whiskey, are distilled at 160 proof and lower.

This is not to say that nothing would happen if you put a neutral spirit into a barrel for some period of time, but it isn't done.

Connoisseur

This is not to say that nothing would happen if you put a neutral spirit into a barrel for some period of time, but it isn't done.
    What about the neutral spirits that are used to make Scotch blends? They have to be aged to make the age statements accurate!?

Or did you just mean it's not done to be sold as a unique product???

Connoisseur

aged and unaged, presumably cachaca too, though I can't say I've ever had aged cachaca.
    I have tried this Pira Pora
    and it is a sipper. Stay with the unaged for caipirinhas.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I don't know but I've read this too. Imagine, new spirit is subjected to sophisticated treatments to remove all flavour compounds, some of which used to be (and may still) be sent to chemical plants to make turpentine and lacquer, and yet some of the latter apparently is added back in to the cleansed spirit! Go figure.

Gary

Enthusiast

> What about the neutral spirits that are used to make Scotch blends?

You must be thinking of what they call "grain whiskies"... not neutral
    by any stretch of the imagination. They're made using column stills
    (like bourbon is), and thus are lighter in character than pot stilled
    whisky. But they definitely taste like whisky!

There are a (very) few "single grain whiskies" bottled, and there are
    a few bottles out there of "mingled" grain whiskies, too.

Tim Dellinger

When I was in Brazil, admittedly 20 years ago, I sought out the best and most expensive cachaca I could find to bring back with me. It was in a lovely stoneware bottle and cost all of $3.50. Of course, that's when inflation was so bad they were pricing the local currency by weight.

In this regard the Canadian and Scottish practices are similar and, in fact, while Scottish grain whiskies were traditionally made from unmalted barly they now are mostly made from wheat or corn (maize), just like in Canada. They are only 'neutral' in a relative sense, compared to the very flavorful malts or, in the case of Canada, the wheat and rye flavoring whiskies, but they are distilled at less than 190 proof and are barrel aged (in both places). I did a quick search and couldn't find an exact distillation proof for the typical Scottish grain whiskey. At least in the U.S., anything distilled at above 190 is "neutral spirit" (i.e., vodka) by definition, while anything (made from grain that is) distilled at less than 190 proof is whisk(e)y.

Disciple

I have been wondering what kind of stills are used to distill bourbon. Column stills? Really? Are any bourbons distilled in the more traditional pot stills?
    Ed