Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Success!

Enthusiast

Success!

Well, it happened - tonight, out of the blue, my wife asked me to pour her "some of that whiskey you had the other night"... this happened to be EWSB '94, which she had a sip of, and said it was "bearable" at the time.

Tonight, she drank a decent 2 oz. pour, and claimed that she was "starting to like the stuff".

Oddly enough, I offered her a sip of my EC12, which she didn't like at all. I'm wondering if it was the higher proof, along with the additional flavor complexity when compared to the EWSB? I've always found the two to have some similar tastes, although I will concede that the EC12 is a bit "bigger".

Any suggestions on other "lighter" bourbons that I could give her? She tried Maker's Mark when I bought my first bottle of it, and didn't really care for the taste... but that was before she was interested in whiskey at all.

At any rate - I'm just really excited that she's finally starting to see what I make such a big deal about. Even if she never catches the bourbon bug like I have, it's good to know that I might be able to coax her down the path.

Advanced Taster

Re: Success!

I can sympathize with your wife's tastes. Like her, I like the EWSB'94 but don't care much for the EC12.

You might try letting her taste a good wheater, which tend to be softer and sweeter. She and I might line up on this issue, as well, since I don't care for Maker's Mark but the Van Winkles are among my favorites. The VW 12-year Lot B or the 10/90 (something lower proof so as to not knock her socks off) would be my suggestion.

Good luck! I wish my significant other would start down the bourbon path. Maybe someday...

Connoisseur

Great news! Thanks for sharing your success. I've been able to turn some non bourbon drinkin' folks on to VOB lately, but I do agree with Clayton that the VW 10/90 is an excellent choice.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Failure! Failure! I repeat Failure!

There is no need for your wife to start liking bourbon. My wife likes bourbon, but only my Stagg reserve

Great for you (and her)! So far, I'm still a solo sipper -- although I still enjoy the stuff.
    EC12 is, I think (both from personal experience and chatter here), a love-it-or-hate-it bourbon. I gave the remains of my bottle away at the Gazebo during the Festival. I won't buy it again. And, I love every one of the EWSBs I've tried, as well as many other favorites here. Everybody's tastes differ.
    However, if your wife appreciated the EWSB, I suggest you try the Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yo (only slightly pricier -- still under $30). Or, for something different, but still approachable, (wheated) W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7yo. For something bolder, but with a fruitiness that might appeal to a newbie, there's JB Black. The latter two are under $20, maybe under $15 in some places.

Enthusiast

For something bolder, but with a fruitiness that might appeal to a newbie, there's JB Black.
    I've got a bottle of JB Black on the shelf, so maybe I'll pour her some of that. I've also got some Knob Creek, maybe I'll try that as well.

I guess I might as well go ahead and submit an order through the state for a bottle of Eagle Rare SB, since I've had more than one person recommend it.

Enthusiast

I have no Stagg, nor am I likely to be able to find it in this area any time soon.

She did down a bunch of my Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve the other night, but that's a different story... it wasn't exactly for the taste...

Enthusiast

I do agree with Clayton that the VW 10/90 is an excellent choice.
    Alas, no Van Winkle bottlings are available in my state. Some day perhaps... in the meantime, I will have to keep my eyes open during the rare occasions that I travel.

Advanced Taster

For what you can't get in your state, let's not forget Binny's (among other internet vendors). They ship to Vermont, I believe.

Enthusiast

They ship to Vermont, I believe.
    Oooh. I was told it was illegal to ship into VT, but I will check out Binny's. Thanks for the tip!!