Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What\'s next on your list...

Unfortunately, being stuck with the Alabama ABC, my list is empty. The last new thing I saw was the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve and I already bought it.

Other than that, we are losing our selection of good bourbons. In the last couple of years, we have lost Blanton's, Kentucky Spirit, and Rock Hill Farms that I know of. But the shelves are overflowing with $75 and $130 scotches.

This really $&#%$.

Tim

Guru

Try it, you'll like it. It is one of my very favorites.

Tim

Enthusiast

I'm thinking of Jefferson Reserve's little brother Sam Houston
    For both of you I recommend that you pull the trigger. For some reason I was skeptical about Sam as well but now I have to say that it is one tasty premium bourbon.

On another thread I mentioned that I just placed a "fill in the blanks" order at Binnys, so a whole bunch of new ones that I have never tried are going to arrive all at once.

AAA
    BT
    OFBB 03
    ORVW 10 107
    Eagle Rare 10 SB
    Elmer T Lee
    Ridgemont

I don't know which will be the first that I try.

Guru

Hey, here's a question. If I were to drive straight up I-65 through Tennessee and into Kentucky, where would be a good place to stop to get a great bourbon selection at reasonable prices? I know a lot of Kentucky counties are "dry", so I have no idea where to go.

OTOH, with gasoline prices the way they are, I suppose this is a pretty stupid idea, too.

Tim

Taster

Probably Knob Creek, never seem to get around to picking one up even though it is readily available.
    In the higher stakes, would love to try any of the Staggs.

Enthusiast

In order of eagerness:

Stagg 2004 - no chance
    WT 12YO
    Blantons Silver, Gold - Silver Arriving today
    Four Roses SB
    Old Fitz 1849 - Arriving today
    Weller Centenial

Enthusiast

EWSB1995 will take a while to get here considering the amount of 1994 still on shelves everywhere
    Most liquor stores in my area still have the EWSB '93 on the shelves. '94 is only available at a few stores.

Rock Hill Farms is listed on my state's website as being available via special order, but I ordered it weeks ago, and still no sign of it.

Enthusiast

There are a few I'm considering, and I would appreciate comments on the following issues:

Buffalo Trace: I have not yet tried the highly-regarded regular old Buffalo Trace bourbon, but, I have a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. Is there a big difference between that and the regular BT bourbon, and if so, are they different in style, or is the ETL just a slightly more select edition of the same basic whiskey? And while we're on the subject, anyone care to weigh in on the distinction between BT, ETL, and Blanton's?

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve: I have a bottle of regular 8-year-old Old Charter and I am very underwhelmed. However, the Proprietor's Reserve has been recommended here. Is there a sufficiently significant difference between the two, such that although I don't care for the 8yo I might nevertheless enjoy the Proprietor's Reserve?

Others I'd like to try:

Rebel Yell
    Old Fitz BIB
    Beam's Choice (I seem to recall hearing somewhere that this had additional charcoal filtering; any truth to that?)

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just my two cents but Elmer T. Lee is very good and probably a premium version of Trace, itself a premium whiskey of course. The Lee has a fruitiness that few modern bourbons have (so does Jim Beam Black Label which I also rate highly).

I have tried all the Old Charters and found them good of their kind but not superlative, they have a certain husky or astringent quality, I find. The Proprietor's Reserve is the best but it shares the traits of the brand to a point.

When it comes to bourbon whiskey, I know people have favorites amongst the super premiums but one has to go a long way to beat the quality of Elmer T. Lee. It is in my pantheon along with the current Woodford Reserve, Very Old Barton, and Beam Black Label. Recent bottlings of Booker's are very good, too. I realise though this reflects personal preference: medium-aged whiskey, fruity in flavor if possible, silky, drinkable straight and therefore not too high in proof (I dilute the Booker's in the glass to about 90 proof)..

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Tim, Bowling Green will be your last chance coming north, it's been a while since I made that trip that I can't say for sure but it might be your first chance as well. After that, Bullitt County, at the 105 mile marker. There's a short side trip there to Nelson county or just drive on up to MM128 To the Fern Valley Liquor Barn, who by the way, don't consider a 3 pack of Stagg a case any more.

Dry or Wet counties

I looked at this link, Bowling Green(Warren County) is the first and last chance coming north.