Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: What\'s next on your list...

Gary is right, it is all a matter of personal preference. I really enjoy the Proprietor's Reserve (Frankfort edition) and think that it is one of those "diamonds in the rough", priced less than it's worth. I also really enjoy the 12yo "classic" version, though it is a little thinner in body. You can't go wrong with either Buffalo Trace or Elmer T. Lee. Both are fantastic. I find BT to be a smooth and creamy bourbon, while ETL is very fruity with a little more kick on the finish. Just pick one and enjoy

Enthusiast

Most liquor stores in my area still have the EWSB '93 on the shelves. '94 is only available at a few stores.
    I just found a store that had 3 bottles of 92 and one lonely dusty bottle of 91. The 91 now has a new home.

Connoisseur

Buffalo Trace recently became available here in Sweden. In fact, there are several bottles on the shelves at my local liquor store.

So, why havenīt I picked up a bottle? Well, for starters I already have several outstanding bourbons from BT at home. Will Buffalo Trace prove to be a disappointment when tasted after Stagg, RHF, Blantonīs gold etc?

Secondly, just like Chasking, I havenīt really managed to figure out what this whiskey is all about. To me it suffers from an identity problem of sorts. How old is it? Does it share a mashbill with any other BT product or is it unique? Is it just Ancient Age with another name? Thatīs some of the questions that are reeling through my head. (Are you out there, Ken? )

Administrator in exile

The '91 vintage is my favorite to date. Nice find

Enthusiast

I couldn't take the hole in the collection, so I went back today and snagged one of the 92's. Now I have a dilemma, do I break open the 91 and 92, or do I save them since they are obviously becomming rare. So far I have opened and tried every bottle I have brought home, do I break that tradition and begin "collecting" vs. "sampling"? Hmmmm

Enthusiast

Judging from the photo in your avatar, I think you'll get on with your sampling

Now I have a dilemma, do I break open the 91 and 92, or do I save them since they are obviously becomming rare...do I break that tradition and begin "collecting" vs. "sampling"? Hmmmm
    Go back and buy another of the '92s you mentioned -- then you'll have two of that vintage and you can ponder the fate of the other while enjoying it.

Will Buffalo Trace prove to be a disappointment when tasted after Stagg, RHF, Blantonīs gold etc?
    No. Try it.

Connoisseur

We can't get any of the 4Roses in NY, of course, so we snagged a bottle of the SB. Lovely bottle with a lovely whiskey inside.

My next to try has got to be the Tribute. I missed out on the little Gazebo sampling early on during the Festival week. I was too busy napping after our long drive.

Guru

Thanks, Bobby!

Tim