Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage

Advanced Taster

Storage

I fought the collecting bug for awhile but now find myself buying some of the rarer issues,knowing that it will be sometime before they are consumed. Is there an ideal condition for bottle storage or does temperature and humidity make any difference with bourbon? I know this situation is completely different from wine, but was still curious.
    thanks

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Storage

Not much to worry about, really. Store them upright, especially if they are cork-stoppered. That's about it.

Guru

Chuck,

But what if he takes your tag line more seriously than the body of your message?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

It'd like to think most people discover the truth of that statement, to their benefit, over time. Whiskey is for drinking, not for looking at.

Advanced Taster

For the most part, I do agree with Chuck's "Whiskey don't keep" philosophy and I know I was setting myself up for some shots with the storage question, but the pickings can be slim in Ga for several great bourbons and out of state opportunities came up and the home equity line had some room.
    thanks

It's all in the terminology. I don't think in terms of a "collection," I consider it my "reserve."

...and the home equity line had some room.
    Heck -- the bourbon in residence here comprises my home equity.

Advanced Taster

I feel the same way that Chuck does: it's a reserve. I plan to drink everything I buy.

When I started buying whisk(e)y, especially things that are spendier than the average bottle, I promised myself that I'd never be afraid to drink it. Never say, "Oh, that's the good/expensive stuff and I should save for later."

Which is not to say that I'll pour the Stagg/Hirsch/Tribute every night. My budget can't manage that. But if I own it, I will drink it. Besides, there's only so much room on the shelf and I doubt I'll stop buying bottles anytime soon.

Oh, I've opened both '03 and '04 Stagg, Hirsch 16, an old Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12yo, Wild Turkey 12, et al, in the past 6 months. I plan to drink what I have, too, so I understand you and Chuck perfectly.
    That said, the more-or-less irreplaceable bottles -- e.g., Stagg '02, Weller 19, Old Commonwealth -- of which I have only a single example, are 'collectibles' in the sense that it will be a very special occasion that prompts me to open one. I'll know the occasion when it happens.

Connoisseur

Oh, I've opened both '03 and '04 Stagg, Hirsch 16, an old Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12yo, Wild Turkey 12, et al, in the past 6 months. I plan to drink what I have, too,
    Tim, I know you have at least 2 to 5 bottles in reserve of each, You can't fool us. Unless that cruise has changed your thinking.