Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

help with choosing bourbons

I'm fairly new to bourbon and drinking in general and i'm so glad i found this website. i have learned so much from everyone's posts. Last week i purchased some bourbons discussed here and now that i have had a chance to sample them i was hoping that i could get some recomendations of what to try next.
    ewsb 94' -didn't like this one, had an oily feel and green
    vegetal taste.
    bookers -omg one of my favorites vanilla and cinnamon.
    van winkle SR lot b-Top of my list, smooth.
    EW weller SR -growing to like this one, very spicy. Woodford reserve -jury is out on this one, nothing has stood out yet, but i have had a lot to taste.
    Based on these newbie descriptions what would you guys suggest i try next? forgot to say that i have had maker's. Infact that was my "gateway" bourbon.-daniel

Taster

Re: help with choosing bourbons

Explore the Wild Turkey products. Also the Buffalo Trace labels, if you can get them where you are.

Advanced Taster

i recommend trying Elijah Craig 12. I really think that it is a good balanced bourbon and very sweet and of course good for just about any budget at 18-20 dollars or so.

Novice

I am very fond of Weller 12 year old. It's one of the smoothest bourbons out there, and gets great reviews. For some reason, not many know about it. (great price also!)

Advanced Taster

I would definitely recommend trying the Wild Turkey products. Russell's Reserve is one of my favorites -- heavy and rich with spice and vanilla. If you want something barrel-proof like Booker's, try the Rare Breed.

You might also try a straight rye for something a bit different but in the same neighborhood. The Wild Turkey rye is fairly easy to find and quite good. Sazerac or Van Winkle Rye are even better, if you can find them.

Enthusiast

I would recommend:
    <ul type="square">[*]Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve[*]Eagle Rare Single Barrel[*]Elijah Craig 12 year[*]Knob Creek[*]Wild Turkey Rare Breed (very different than any of the other bourbons on this list)[/list]

There are many other wonderful bourbons, but I have not tried them, as availability is extremely limited in my state.

Today i picked up Eagle Rare 10 year, E.C. 12year and i couldn't pass up the last bottle of A.H. hirsch 16 year. i just had a taste of the Eagle rare. I found it pleasant tasting. what really stood out was an almost dusty taste? i mean dusty in a good way. i think i'll keep this one around. thanks for all the advice.-daniel

Enthusiast

Good choices! While I haven't had the Eagle Rare 10 year old, I'm assuming that it's similar to the pricier single barrel offering that I recommended. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment on the differences for you.

The Elijah Craig 12yr is a love-it-or-hate-it bourbon, but you owe it to yourself to let the bottle grow on you (plus, for ~$15, it's hard to go wrong, and you're bound to have whiskey-drinking friends who'll like it).

Congratulations on finding the Hirsch! I wish I could get my hands on a bottle or two of that stuff. I'm having trouble just getting Blanton's and Rock Hill Farms here, even though they're both listed as being available via special order on my state's liquor control board web site (and in fact, I purchased a bottle of Blanton's in one of our state stores not too long ago). I'm going up to Canada this weekend, so I'm hoping to find something interesting in the duty free shop on the way back home.

I forgot to specify that the Eagle Rare was indeed the Single Barrel you suggested. it's hard keeping track of all these names. i think i even said EW weller in my first post instead if W.L. Weller. How hard is it to get some of these bottlings like the Van winkle SR 12 year lot B or the Eagle Rare? Because they're some of my favorites, I would like to keep them around. Do i need an excuse to clean out the shelf at my local store.-daniel

Advanced Taster

I'm looking at getting a really good quality bottle once my uni exams are over. Choice here is limited, and all of these are available for about the same price. What would be the suggestion for only 1?

Booker's
    Baker's
    Knob Creek
    Blanton's Original
    Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.

I've only ever had a bottle of the Booker's. Wouldn't mind the Blanton's, but it a touch more expensive and requires out of state ordering. JDSB gets good reviews, but I don't like No7 or Gentleman Jack so that puts me off the SB.