Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Talking What bourbon to show up Sc***h drinkers

Hey all,

Just wondering what bourbon you would choose to show those other whisky drinkers that bourbon is where it's at. Gotta get a bottle within the next week and would like your opinions.
    Scott

Guru
    There's an old adage, "You can lead a scotch-drinker to bourbon, but you can't make him drink", or something like that.

Seriously, are the subjects open-minded on the subject? Are they label-conscious, or are they focused on what's inside the bottle? Are they accustomed to the power of cask-strength scotch? How well do they like peat?

Depending on the answers to those questions my suggestion would include one or more of the following:

Maker's Mark (here we go again!) -- For anyone who thinks bourbon is "too strong" (say, someone who drinks Glenlivet 12 y/o exclusively)

Buffalo Trace -- To introduce sweetness, bourbon-style

Elijah Craig 12 y/o or 18 y/o -- Bourbon's answer to peat/smoke

Wild Turkey Rare Breed/Kentucky Spirit -- To me, the quintessential flavors of bourbon (YMMV)

George T. Stagg -- For the cask-strength drinkers, lest they conclude that bourbon is a "wimpy" drink.

Be sure to include your personal favorite, if you have one.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast
    I don't really know how to show up a scotch drinker. A bunch of us from the shop get together every Saturday morning after work at 8:00 a.m. and have a couple of drinks. We rotate the hosts house every week. Pretty funny though as we all live within 3 miles of each other. But anyways.

One of the guys is a Scotch drinker. I really think that he believes that the more expensive the bottle the better the drink. Spending $179.00 for a 750ml is just beyond me. Anyways, when it's at my house every 4 weeks he wants the same thing. Bookers. He has it every single time and says he loves it. But other than the times we're at my house he always drinks scotch. I'm not giving up on him yet though. I've started working the economic angle on him lately.

Enthusiast
    Am I alone in enjoying both?? Bourbon is just so much less money than scotch. I can get so much more great bourbon for the price of great scotch. Hell I love whisk(e)y. Do the same bourbon drinkers who dont enjoy scotch like rye? Straight rye is not bourbon so do the same rules apply?? I'm just thinking out loud. I find that almost all whisk(e)y goes down nice a smooth to me.
    Joe

Taster
    I have only tried scotch a couple times. The one I did like was called Haig and Haig Pinch. I tried some J&B one time and just about spit it out. A friend from Europe brought it to me as a gift. I ended up giving it to the maintenance guy for the building. I think he enjoyed it much more than I did. That was back about 7-8 years in my college days. I was thinking about getting into scotch, but I have too many good bourbons I still want to try. Maybe when I get tired of bourbon, but I don't see that happening...
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." -Mark Twain

Advanced Taster
    That's just it. I have only tried scotch a few times myself and just don't have a taste for it and would not even have an idea what to compare it to. But the input on the barrel proof ones makes some sense to me. Afterall, several of the guys I know like the moonshine that we have access to out ot
    Tennessee....
    Scott

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBourbon1
    Hey all,

Just wondering what bourbon you would choose to show those other whisky drinkers that bourbon is where it's at. Gotta get a bottle within the next week and would like your opinions.
    my experience going from bourbon to scotch.....well i didn't like any of the scotches that had been listed as good crossovers for a bourbon drinker. They were mostly scotches that were "bourbon-like".

In the end what got me to like scotch was an Islay....Ardbeg 10, which is really a strong scotch and not something someone would suspect a bourbon drinker to go for.

I suspect this would work the same in reverse...trying to find the best crossover (or closest in taste) to scotch is probably not the way to go. I would offer 3 or so bourbons, a wheater (like Makers) a stronger rye based (any of the Wild Turkeys) and then maybe a rye whiskey(Rittenhouse bond).

this is a pretty good spectrum then hopefully one of them they will like and then they can focus more closely.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeluka
    Am I alone in enjoying both?? Bourbon is just so much less money than scotch. I can get so much more great bourbon for the price of great scotch.
    You aren't alone! It was Scotch that convinced me that whiskey was worth drinking in the first place. On the other hand, Scotch runs a huge gamut - a peaty Islay like Ardbeg, a Speyside sherry bomb like Aberlour A'Bunadh, a middle-of-the-road pour like Highland Park, an artisanal blend like Compass Box Asyla, and a cheap mass-market blend like Cluny are all Scotch, but no two are anything close to being alike.

It was a bottle of George T. Stagg that opened the bourbon floodgates for me - but I was already accustomed to cask-strength monsters like A'Bunadh and Uigeadail. I drink more bourbon and rye now than Scotch (economics are a big factor), but I don't like Scotch any less - it's just one good choice among many, and for me it's more of a treat than a daily pour.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SSBourbon1
    Hey all,

The first thing that came to my mind, and nothing else was able to supplant it, was Blanton's.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    I'd go with George T. Stagg, only thing that came to mind. It's bold, powerful, robust, and very, very good. Embodies a lot of what's wonderful about bourbon. Also I am both a Scotch and bourbon drinker and I don't know of any Scotches that you can drink neat and enjoy as much as Stagg with that high of a proof.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.