Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Rock Hill Farms & Blanton\'s

After a long wait, it appears that I am going to get my bottle of Blanton's this weekend, and a bottle of Rock Hill Farms will be delivered to my state liquor store next Thursday.

Hooray!

Sorry, but I need to share my excitement with someone, and very few of my friends drink bourbon. Even fewer know what Blanton's or RHF are. Since I have never tried either one of these, I'm extremely excited!

Does anyone have any hints on the best way to drink these two bottlings? I typically drink my whiskey neat, but I've had folks tell me that some bourbons actually have more flavor on-the-rocks.

Thanks,
    Will

Connoisseur

Re: Rock Hill Farms & Blanton\'s

I find it hard to go wrong with either of these. I prefer them neat, but sometimes on the rocks works just fine.

There are a few favorites though, that I prefer on the rocks, EC 12 year being a good example.
    Craig

Taster

Neat.

Advanced Taster

Neat.
    Absolutely.

And such bourbons deserve the right glassware -- whisk(e)y glasses or brandy snifter. It really does make a difference.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Both Blanton's and RHF are fine neat. I'm also a big believer in dilution with a little room temperature water. On the rocks, while enjoyable and refreshing, is not really that good for tasting.

Taster

I'll put ice in a highball, but I don't do whiskey on the rocks. I've tried it on several occasions, and I find that the perfect balance of whiskey and water is maintained for about 15 seconds, after which it becomes too diluted. I will sometimes cut with tap water, however. I think it's a good idea especially when tasting a new whiskey, because it will open up the flavor more readily for inspection. I read somewhere that Sc*tch connoisseurs do this, so I adopted the practice, and found it helpful. I've found that whiskey rarely suffers from a splash of water, but often benefits. I also use a small snifter that I bought for $1.79 at Fred Meyer, and I find that it contributes significantly to the overall bourbon experience. Even mediocre whiskey is better in a snifter. And besides that, I like having a legitimate excuse to carry such a cool thing around.

I like neat under 100 or so proof, with some 'branch' (or the closest you can come) whenever proof is higher. Sometimes just a few drops will do.
    As noted above, steer clear of ice -- the constant melting ice changes the dilution (and, of course, the flavor) too much over the course of sipping.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I've found Blantons Original is great neat, but must confess, have not tried it cut with a little water.

Advanced Taster

Cam, is that going by the little miniatures you brought back from O/S, or have you ordered one from Nicks?

Did they have the Blanton's Original 94proof for sale after all or just the special reserve?

I'd be terrified to open it if/when I buy it.

Advanced Taster

What's the difference between RHF and Blanton's? Are they the same formula/mashbill? Is there any specific age for either?

What is everyone's preference. The Blanton's seems universally loved. And there's a lot of respect for RHF, apart from an earlier post by Marvin.