Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Flask Bourbon"

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

\"Flask Bourbon\"

I received a nice hip flask along with some ER 101, Weller SR and VSOF from my wife for my birthday. Whenever I go out, I usually end up somewhere where the bourbon selection is Maker's for $7 / pour, or JB White. So now I'm tempted to bring a flask of something a little better along.

My question is this - how does a flask change the taste of the bourbon? I'm assuming that the nose becomes less important, since there's really no way to smell the bourbon. What bourbons stand up well in a flask?

Thanks,
    Will

Enthusiast

Re: \"Flask Bourbon\"

Will, greetings from a fellow <font color="brown"> flaskaholic </font>. So my answer to your question might be a bit long winded, but here goes. First off, Do you drink right from the flask (flask-proof) or do you pour and add water? If you're a straight-up drinker, you'll want to choose a bourbon who's merits for you are in the bottle, not in the nose (as you suspected). Something chewy with good body.

Is your flask glass or metal? If it's metallic, then I have found it a psychological impedement to enjoying my more expensive pours. (Same with beer, I'm a non-tin man). It's a common practice to store bourbon in stainless and some claim it has little or no detrimental effect, but I don't believe it.

What time of year do you intend to use your flask? For winter flasking, you might want to try something rich and spicey like Wild Turkey 101 (I prefer the 8yr but it is available duty free). For summer, you might like to try something brigher and lighter.

Regardless, it's always a treat to bring along your favorites. Ultimately, though, in order to get full enjoyment, IMHO you'll have to also bring along your favorite glassware.

Enthusiast

Certainly this will vary from flask to flask, but a while ago I had some Jack Daniels in a metal flask, and it ended up in it for several days. When I then poured it into a clear glass, it had turned grey.

I have heard that whiskey should not be stored in leaded glass decanters because it will leach the lead out. Apparently something similar happens with some (cheap) flasks. Ideally, of course, the whiskey will not be in the flask that long!

Enthusiast

I had some Jack Daniels in a metal flask, and it ended up in it for several days. When I then poured it into a clear glass, it had turned grey.
    That's a disturbing story. Apparently the person who she bought it from talked her out of buying a stainless steel flask, because the pewter is supposed to have less effect on the contents of the flask. I guess now's as good a time as any to put that to the test.

Guru

I use stainless steel flasks quite often and have had no problems. However, I'm sure I read that you shouldn't keep it in them for very long and should always flush the flasks with water thoroughly after emptying them.

Advanced Taster

usually i sacrifice 6-7 dollars and buy their cheapest bourbon on the rocks to get started and then let as much ice as i want melt down and then drink it, leaving the perfect amount of ice left for a good chilled pour, thenleaving you with a perfectly good glass to pour into after all the ice is gone, just make sure that the bartender can't see you hehe.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Funny, I just ask for a glass and ice.
    I Did this recently at the track and didn't even get a flinch from the bartender.
    It was flask wars that day. Everybody seemed to have something different and shared.
    Nothing Gray or off-flavored. Of course, nothing was in the flask for more than two hours.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

You cut to the chase fairly quickly, don't you , Ed?

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Experience has proven that being obvious is the best way to avoid suspicion. My dad always said, "Just act like you know what you're doing."
    (Its OK, I'm a limo driver)

Apprentice

Last summer I tossed my 6oz. stainless flask, 1/2 full of Corner Creek, into my tackle box after a fishing trip. Forgot all about it until a few months later. I poured the contents into a rocks glass and enjoyed......no diff. in taste noticed.