Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Are There Any Small Bourbon Companies?

I really like it when people think of Buffalo Trace as being a large distillery. The truth is, we are by far the smallest operating bourbon distillery in the business (unless there are some micro-distilleries out there). We do produce brands like Old Charter, Weller, Van Winkle, and Eagle Rare under different DBAs. While we are proud to make these brands, we are also proud of the heritage they represent. Keeping the name like the Old Prentiss Company, is our feeble attempt to keep alive a distillery name that has long since shuttered its operation. We just see it as a link to the past.

Ken

Keeping the name like the Old Prentiss Company, is our feeble attempt to keep alive a distillery name that has long since shuttered its operation. We just see it as a link to the past.
    I can see that. And I can also see that many consumers might be tempted to buy a label that says it was made by what appears to be a small company. But there's another side of the coin.

I'm new to Bourbon. I started more with Scotch. I subscribed to The Malt Advocate where I read a very good review of BT. I wanted to try it, but couldn't find it. I then discovered that I could order it from Binnys. I fell in love with it. So if I were to go into a liquor store and pick up a bottle of Eagle Rare I would be much more likely to buy it if the label said it was made by Buffalo Trace. I would not be as interested in a whisky that had an Old Prentiss label. And sometimes I think that if I owned Buffalo Trace that I would be proud to have the BT name on all the whiskies coming out of the distillery. The BT label might end up being understood as a mark of high quality. (Though I certainly don't like the aftertaste of AA.)

But from the marketing standpoint your approach is probably the best. That's because those of us who continue to pursue a serious interest will end up buying a book or going to something like www.bourbonwhiskey.com and learning the names of the other BT brands we want to try.

Connoisseur

Ken,
    I really like it when people think of Buffalo Trace as being a large distillery.
    I don't know, I love ya'll 'cause you're small...
    I have had the privilege to visit on numerous occasions, and have ALWAYS had a great time! Ya'll just do small very, very well!! I love it that everyone is so accessible.
    we are also proud of the heritage they represent
    I also believe this is the truth. With so much marketing hype out there, it's cool to see a company 'walkin' the walk'...
    Size really doesn't matter...
    Bj

Advanced Taster

I enjoy both, the bourbon and the history of bourbon. I think those folks in Kentucky are doing a GREAT job...
    Not only are they producing a great boubon for all of us boubonites to enjoy, they are keeping a very important part of history and tradition alive.... God Bless Them..... and
    keep it coming......

Advanced Taster

P.S. and I have not tried Old Pogue yet (very much lookin forward to it) If my great, great grandfather or any family member made bourbon or owned a distillery, I'd do everything in my power to try to keep that tradtion alive and well too!!!! Bring it on Peter...

Pardon my taking offense at the derogatory "sitting at home in our underwear" comment and the equally insulting "slap a label" remark by "Tim". We do neither. We are very proud not only of our bourbon heritage (take a look at Sam Cecil's book, p. 32 and p. 37) but our Old Pogue bourbon we make as well. As Harry Harrison Kroll says in his book "Bluegrass, Belles, and Bourbon" "To be a blueblooded bourbon baron, you must be born one. You must have ancestors. To be whisky royalty you must have generations of bourbon blood." (p. 204). We revere people like Ken Weber at Buffalo Trace for continuing to produce brands with long Kentucky heritage, as well as the Van Winkles, Beams, Willetts, Samuels, and all the others with generations of bourbon heritage who have made Kentucky bourbon what it is today.

Peter H. Pogue

Enthusiast

If you are taking offense to the "slap a label on it" comment made by Tim, you must mean that you actually make your product from start to finish. Is that correct? If so, where do you produce your product at?

Guru

I don't know Peter Pogue, but I do know off-hand insults, piling on and putting words in someone else's mouth when I see them. That sort of thing seldom happens around here, and not for long, at that.

What gives, fellows? Has Peter, unknown to me, done something dishonorable to deserve such treatment?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

If Peter Pogue buys his bourbon from a distiller...So what?

If he has someone else help him select a taste profile...Good for him.

If he has help marketing his product...Who cares.

Peter Pogue and his family have put up the capital to start this venture and guess who benefits the most...We all do.

Guru

And best of all, Peter and his brothers showed up at the Gazebo bearing CASES of their new version of the family recipe for all of us to enjoy. If memory serves me, they were wearing a bit more than underwear. The Pogue family is A1 in my book. Now, if there were only some single Pogue sisters....