Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Availability of Bourbons in Ohio

The liquor store in The Cannery (S.F.) is one of the best in America.
    I don't know what to say, Gary. This is almost in my own back yard. I found them on the web after reading your post, and they carry over 400 single malts. But there is no mention of bourbon, so I sent them an e-mail asking about their bourbon selection. I'm kind of afraid of what their response is going to be. A visit to that place might end my marriage.

Guru

Dale, if you bring the Joseph Finch to the Sampler, I'll supply the cigars...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, I hope not. I recall finding Pikesville Rye there years before I saw it anywhere else. They are indeed a malt whisky house first and foremost but when I was last there they had an excellent selection of bourbons and rye and not just the expensive ones. Hope they still offer a good range.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm from Ohio so I know a little bit about the situation there. Any state store should be able to tell you every bourbon/American whiskey that is listed (i.e., able to be sold) in Ohio and if there is something on that list they don't have, they should be able order it for you. I don't know if Ohio has any provisions for special ordering of products not listed, but probably not. At least then you will know the sum total of what is available to you there.

Apparently it is not impossible to get new produts listed. I was in Mansfield over the holiday and the state store there had Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Bartons new small batch bourbon, which was just re-released (with the new name) a few months ago.

Connoisseur

The reason I bought it was just with you guys in mind. Now, the sampler or the festival?

Guru

That my friend is up to you. With the smaller crowd at the Sampler though, you might still have some to take home with you.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I guess I was hoping for a "there's this great little place in Columbus that has anything that you're looking for!" reply, but oh well. I'm going to go talk to a guy at the store that I frequent and see if he would be willing to special order some stuff for me. If not, I guess the fun-filled drive to Lexington will need to be planned.

-BCS

Enthusiast

The last time I was in SF was during the Whiskies of the World Exhibition. Since I believe SF is the coolest city in the U. S., my cohorts and I like to walk around the wharf, ride the trolley cars, and generally do the whole tourist bit. We went into the Cannery and were amazed at the collection of some rather rare bourbons. The prices were not that bad either (considering SF is not a particularly inexpensive place).

Ken

Advanced Taster

I've returned from my trip to Michigan for the holidays. I'd been looking forward to shopping for whisk(e)y while there, and it proved interesting. There aren't many drinkers among my family to consult with, so I did the best I could in finding larger stores to shop at on my own. "Champange's" and "Bee Bee's Liquor", both in and around Warren, were the best of what I found.

I wasn't able to find anything especially rare (no Antique Collection to be found anywhere, for instance), although I did manage to get a few things unavailable here in Seattle -- Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare Single Barrel, Suntory 12, among other finds. The most interesting things I came across were a small stash of dusty Wild Turkey 12 and some very dusty Evan Williams decanters. Unfortunately, I'd already spent my entire budget by the time I found these. From the looks of things, I wouldn't be surprised if they were still there next year!

I was also interested to note that, by and large, the prices in our state-run Seattle stores were often cheaper than the open-market Michigan stores for the same items.

Now, if only all of this whiskey survives the journey home. Our bags didn't make the connecting flight and should be delivered today. Here's hoping the baggage handlers don't kick the suitcases too hard.