Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Pogue bourbon

Novice

Pogue bourbon

Where can I get Old Pogue????? Via online or is to
    travel to Kentuckey the only way? Is it very good or is it just hype? Could someone compare it to Booker's/Blanton's,Pappy Van Winkel,George T. Stagg?

Re: Pogue bourbon

It's good stuff. The Pogue family visited the Gazebo at the Festival in September and provided tasting samples. I asked the same question -- so far, it is available only in KY and Indiana, so I brought one home. Distribution will widen as production does, if it does.

Taster

pogue is a good bourbon, but not up to the ones you mentioned in your post. I tastes to me clearly like a Heaven Hill product. It has that grassy overtone,much like old whiskey river, or even a smoother version ot the low priced matlingly and moore or t.w. samuals. It has a beautiful color , and is nicely balanced. I am just not a fan of the grassy overtones in some of the heaven hill products. Other heaven hill procucts like elijah craig are wonderful.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I wonder where those tones come from, at first I thought they were rye-derived but now I am not sure. Some people here have called that flavour, "eucalyptus". A signature of some of the younger whiskies of HH, to be sure.

Gary

Taster

I don't think that it is the rye content, as the mashbill is not much different from others. I had thought that it might be caused by being aged in the upper floors of the rick house as it can be so hot there. maybe betty jo knows

Connoisseur

Yes, it's amazing to me how distinctive the Heaven Hill bourbons are...Grassy, eucalyptus...none of these adjectives really quite gets it, but there's definitely a distinct flavor that allows me to tell instantly if it's Heaven Hill product.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

If there is one bourbon that captures that grassy characteristic more than others, I think it is Corner Creek, which probably is HH bourbon. NOT my favorite.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Wade,
    I know we're off topic here, but I do find the Kulsveen whiskeys all have that HH Grassiness. I was sampling a recent gift of Pure Kentucky on Tuesday. Distinctly there.
    Ed