Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

How much bourbon do you drink?

Ok, I'm sure this comes up often. I read an old poll & thread on this subject and it got me wondering how often folks here imbibe. It's not unusual for me to go a day or two without a drink, and then I can have 2-3 good-sized pours in an evening. I guess this technically qualifies as binge-drinking, although I certainly don't see it that way.

So, how often do you drink bourbon, and how much do you typically have?

Enthusiast

Re: How much bourbon do you drink?

Usually daily, and usually 2 (occasionally 3) 1.5 oz (45 ml) drinks poured neat and sipped slowly.

Usually daily, and usually 2 (occasionally 3) 1.5 oz (45 ml) drinks poured neat and sipped slowly.
    Yeah, what Mike said. A couple of times a week I'll have a glass or two of wine with a meal -- either in addition to (usually a weekend) or instead of (weekday/night) the bourbon/rye.

Enthusiast

About the same as me - to be honest it does concern me at times

About a bottle a week !

Enthusiast

About the same as me - to be honest it does concern me at times

About a bottle a week !
    Is the concern about cost, or alcohol consumption?

I figure if I can choose to pass it up on any given evening, which I have (hence the qualified "usually daily" in my post), and that I don't get drunk, then I probably don't have a problem.

There's a difference between an obsession and an addiction. It may be a fine line, but I continue to maintain that I am merely obsessed with bourbon (and rye)!

Enthusiast

Alcohol consumption.

There's been some pretty nasty goings on in my family, with booze and I'm wary of going the same way.

I don't get drunk (pretty much ever) but I do *love whisky* especially American whisky. I've got around 35 bottles of Bourbon and Rye on the go at the moment and just adore everything about it - from the history and packaging to the taste (of course !).

It would be sad if we couldn't enjoy something anymore (for health reasons) that had given us such great pleasure. That's the main reason I worry.

Advanced Taster

Not Enough!!!!!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Typically I enjoy 1 or 2 neat 30ml pours every 2nd night or so. When I'm not Martial Arts training, I'll enjoy a single pour prior to dinner most weeknights.

This is a habbit that has really only come about since I joined the straightbourbon.com forum and discovered the variety of bourbons available. It's still a novelty for me to open a different bottle that I haven't tried yet (and there are a few.)

Prior to discovering this site, I mostly drank Jim Beam White or Woodford Reserve with Coke on weekends, and usually in large amounts.

Enthusiast

Prior to discovering this site, I mostly drank Jim Beam White or Woodford Reserve with Coke on weekends, and usually in large amounts.
    Woodford Reserve + coke? That's an expensive bourbon and coke. Not that I'm a huge fan of Woodford Reserve (I prefer Old Forester BIB), but still... ouch!

Guru

With my really weird working hours I only occasionally have a drink when I get home around 8am. But on the nights I don't work, I usually sit at my computer for a couple of hours with whatever bottle I choose to favor for the evening and pour small pours while I chat or play games or whatever until I'm done. No limits, I just know when I don't want anymore.

Lately the bottles of choice have been some I didn't particularly care for the first few pours and want to make myself appreciate. I started this trend with my first WR until it was gone and am now working on my bottle of Beam Black. In both cases, I have overcome my original dislikes and come to enjoy them. Next up: Johnny Drum 15yr.

Eventually I want to hit on one go-to and buy 1.75s to keep in my computer desk but for now, there's just too many to choose from. What a dilemna!