Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What bourbon are you drinking now?

Last night it was Rock Hill Farms out of Riedel Bourbon Glasses with four friends. We had a nice time. The bourbon and the discussion flowed freely.

Advanced Taster

Last nite I tried 1792 Ridgemont Reserve. I had bought this a couple hours before I researched it on this forum. From the comments I read, you'd think this stuff was Maker's Mark or Old Crow.

I found it a very pleasent bourbon. Is it worth the $29 a bottle? Not sure yet. Is it swill? No. Is it a somewhat milder bourbon than say WT RB, Booker's, Weller Antique? Yes. But for a bourbon under 100 proof, I'd take it over the much vaunted EC12 or EWSB. Just my opinion.

I will be exploring this offering further.

YMMV.

Administrator in exile

Ed and I got to taste some of this at a Wine Shop here in Lexington last weekend. I had not had any in a bit and I had forgot just how good it is. At first I thought they were serving Woodford Reserve...(rimshot)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like the 1792 very much and if it's overpriced it is only slightly so. At least they didn't just take any old anything and put it in a fancy bottle. It's some of the best bourbon ever to come out of Barton, in my opinion.

I also don't consider Maker's Mark to be swill. In fact, considering the undistinguished nature of at least some of the wheated bourbons produced at the new Bernheim, Maker's Mark may be where one has to go to get a good wheater (other than the Pappys, of course).

Although, on that subject, I had some Old Fitzgerald BIB last night, which could be late UD or even early HH Bernheim and it didn't disappoint.

Oh yeah, Old Crow is swill.

Advanced Taster

I like the 1792 very much and if it's overpriced it is only slightly so.
    Still exploring this aspect.

I also don't consider Maker's Mark to be swill.
    To my tastebuds, it is just a notch or two above swill. This is the 1st bourbon I ever bought with a serious intent of exploring. It doesn't get any better everytime I try it. Sorry.

In fact, considering the undistinguished nature of at least some of the wheated bourbons produced at the new Bernheim, Maker's Mark may be where one has to go to get a good wheater (other than the Pappys, of course).
    Haven't tried Pappy's yet, but I will take ANY of the Weller offerings over MM any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Oh yeah, Old Crow is swill.
    Roger that.

I haven't tried the Ridge'mont' Reserve yet, but enjoyed the original Ridge'wood' 1792 (which I opened before it became a collector's item, and of which I still have several bottles) very much.
    I would, however, split the difference with you on preference, Mark -- surely, I'd prefer it to EC12, but would rate it no better than equal to EWSB, perhaps not quite that.
    There has been some discussion here as to whether the replacement version is the same as the original. Barton folks -- including Bill Friel -- say it's the same. Some palates say otherwise.

Guru

I never had the original, so I can't compare. But, I am one of those who are underwhelmed by the 1792 Ridgemont.

I will say though, that it opens up quite a bit with the addition of ice and/or water. It actually becomes fairly tasty.

Tim

Enthusiast

The last couple of nights I have had Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 y/o distilled on Frankfort. I've never had it before and spotted it in a store. Very good! Not a real strong taste but I enjoy it very much!

Taster

With all of the chatter about the 1792 brands, I opened a bottle of the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve that I bought this summer at the Bourbon Festival. It is a much better bourbon than the Ridgewood Reserve that I bought the year before. The Ridgewood reserve ,to me , tasted no different than the Old Barton 6 year old. The Ridgemont Reserve is has more vanilla to it, and is ,all in all, a very good whiskey

Enthusiast

Tonight, I started with some EWSB '94, and am now trying some Sam Houston for the first time. Will probably move on to some EC12 or Eagle Rare 101 before the evening is over.