Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OGD 114

Enthusiast

OGD 114

Well, there's a special-ordered bottle of OGD 114 headed to a liquor store near me on Thursday. Since I like Basil Hayden's but found it too weak, I figured I'd take the plunge on a bottle of the 114. I've also noticed that it appears pretty frequently on people's top 5 or top 10 lists.

So - how do folks like to drink the OGD 114? I typically drink everything neat, but I've never had 114 proof bourbon before. I'm wondering if it would be better to cut it with water or drink it on the rocks?

Thanks,
    Will

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: OGD 114

Rocks + dash water, or in a Manhattan also with dash of water or soda to lighten. Another way: tall in a glass with cold spring water. OGD is very good, and (as discussed before) it appears 114 proof, or 57% abv, is a hearkening back to the old British proof standard, since 57% abv was 100 British proof (Sykes system).

Gary

Guru

I always drink it straight.

Tim

Guru

Me too, as for this bourbon 114 just seems the right proof. It wouldn't be an everyday pour straight but there are times when it's absolutely perfect. Like last week when I finished hanging my outdoor Christmas lights, my eyes gravitated directly to it. I poured a couple of fingers and then stood out front until the timer kicked them on for the first time. My hands were freezing but my belly wasn't.

Guru

Oh, yes. I use my OGD 114 for special occasion, slow sipping, only. It is perfect when sitting in my comfortable chair reading a book after everyone else has gone to bed. Also, only one pour at a time. Don't load up on this one!

Tim

Enthusiast

Ok... just picked up the bottle. Why is the packaging for this so much better than the OGD BIB and 86 proof versions? It is 10x classier and eye-catching, and the price is only $4 more than the BIB.

Anyway. The lot # for my bottle is "1". Does this mean that I have a bottle from the very first batch of OGD 114 made by Beam (it is made at Beam now, right?). Is this something I should worry about, or not? I'm not opening the bottle until I get together with a buddy who is a rye-heavy bourbon freak on New Year's Eve, so I'll give my impressions then.

Apprentice

I like to consider OGD 114 a great flask bourbon. Like when it is colder than a cast iron commode on the shady side of an ice berg. Most tasty after a cold day of hunting or when at a Steelers 14-1 playoff game in sub zero weather and I can see my feet but not feel them.

Enthusiast

I've been meaning to ask for recommendations for a good backpacking bourbon. I know someone likes the 114 for weight to punch ratio, and now I can guess you'd be in favor of it, too. I'll really have to give this a try; I do enjoy the BIB. And on the original question, I'd start it neat and see if a little water was wanted.
    Bob

Taster

I really like this stuff. the top of the bottle seems larger than most others,so the stuff comes gushing out. it packs a punch, but is very drinkable neat. I like it from a snifter.great in the evening

Enthusiast

Thanks. I finally got around to trying this, couldn't wait until New Year's

I can drink it neat just fine, except that my next breath (even when I don't have a cold, I tend to breathe through my mouth) tends to be overwhelmed by the alcohol remaining in my mouth, and I choke (does that make me a girly man?)

I've found that keeping a glass of water or ginger ale with me, and taking a small sip after sipping the bourbon tends to prevent this, and it sometimes opens up some additional flavor as well.

I guess this is what folks refer to when ordering a "water back". Maybe I'll go back and try it with some of my other bourbons.