Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OGD 114

Enthusiast

Re: OGD 114

My flask bourbon & my designated 'watch the sunset' bourbon as well. I'm a big believer in hi-proof bourbon carried in the flask. 114 proof x 4 oz = 456, or roughly 6 oz of 80 proof bourbon. If you're carrying it in a backpack over hill and dale you start appreciating this sort of statistic.

Enthusiast

Brought a flask of OGD 114 to the in-laws' house this past weekend. In my limited experience, this is indeed the ultimate flask bourbon - high enough in proof that a little bit goes a long way, lots of flavor so you don't miss the nose as much, and it goes down smoothly in case you have to take a quick nip away from prying eyes without coughing and giving yourself away.

Advanced Taster

I just opened my first bottle of OGD114. Very impressive, I must say.

My tasting notes say, "An unusually smoky bourbon at first nose & sip, but with a sweet finish full of strawberries and other fruit. Delicious."

Connoisseur

strong and straight...like a man......114 is one of my faves

Guru

Evening all,

I don't know how long this expression has been available but I have kept one on hand for a good many years now. I favor it for all of the reasons mentioned above and find it one of the few that drinks well straight or mixed under most any circumstance.

Regards,
    Squir

Disciple
    Well since JB is my least liked American distillery I did bay this bottle only due to all the good things I have read about it on the forum. I have just got it home and not tasted it jet but it is a couple of things that puzzles me. It says distilled and bottled in Frankfurt on the back label. It seems like a modern bottle and label so I assume it is a JB. So what I wonder is: How can they print this on the label if itís not true? Or could it be real OGD or old OGD stock bottled by JB? The bar code on the bottle is 80686 40940 and 86259 25574 on the black box and it is a long text on the neck label that say among things bottled straight from the barrel And one more thing. Is there any list on bar codes somewhere on this forum? I would be glad for advice or viewpoints.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru
    Here is a resource you may find helpful, compliments of Dawn (luv2hunt).

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Here is a resource you may find helpful, compliments of Dawn (luv2hunt).

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Thank you very much Dave! This will be helpful not only in this case but a whole lot I guess. Itís a JB bottling all right but I am still puzzled by the distilled and bottled in Frankfurt part. Is there anyone that can confirm that itís the normal text on this brand?

Leif

Disciple
    I have an empty bottle that is probably the same as yours. Says Lot No. 1 on the back, and "Distilled and Bottled By the Old Grand-Dad Distillery Company Frankfort*Clermont, KY" with a bullet point looking symbol where I placed the asterisk.

It was purchased in Lexington, KY in the summer of 2004.
    Last edited by Sijan; 03-30-2006 at 00:13.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sijan
    I have an empty bottle that is probably the same as yours. Says Lot No. 1 on the back, and "Distilled and Bottled By the Old Grand-Dad Distillery Company Frankfort*Clermont, KY" with a bullet point looking symbol where I placed the asterik.

It was purchased in Lexington, KY in the summer of 2004.
    I am also just to the fact that it say Frankfurt Clermont on JB bottles but it donít say that on this one. It only says Frankfurt.

Leif